Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
Rupert

Default Re: House Rules

Even with the standard rules, and needing to roll a 16- to stay conscious, someone on negative hit points won't be active for long once combat turns stop. The half-life of consciousness in such a case is all of 37 seconds.

Once someone is negative, unless you can have sort of drug of magic that lets them avoid having to make consciousness checks, or that can get them above 0 HP, they're going to have to be carried out or you're setting up camp on the spot and waiting for them to recover an hour later, or 12 hours later if they're under -1xHP (assuming they don't blow that HT roll).

I find the current rules much more interesting than "hit -1xHP and you're dead" - dead bodies get looted and burned/buried/left for the crows. Unconscious comrades require care and protection (or you can loot them and leave them, and then they get to come back and hunt you...).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Even with the standard rules, and needing to roll a 16- to stay conscious, someone on negative hit points won't be active for long once combat turns stop. The half-life of consciousness in such a case is all of 37 seconds.
Not exactly. Since after the fighting stops you are probably assumed to be taking the "Do Nothing" maneuver which allows you to stay up w/o rolling. The only cases that this wouldn't be true is if you are the only member that is left to heal or use first aid. (I've seen PCs pass out trying to cast healing spells on themselves.)
Old 09-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #13
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Not exactly. Since after the fighting stops you are probably assumed to be taking the "Do Nothing" maneuver which allows you to stay up w/o rolling. The only cases that this wouldn't be true is if you are the only member that is left to heal or use first aid. (I've seen PCs pass out trying to cast healing spells on themselves.)
If everybody is laying around taking "Do Nothing" maneuvers waiting to be healed - or waiting for the Cleric to regain his FP - then you are setting up camp right where you're at. Which was one of the options that was given. This has serious implications - for instance, you can't retreat, you may not be in the most secure of locations, and you are in danger from wandering monster or reinforcements for the enemies arriving, etc.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-18-2017 at 02:37 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #14
shadedmagus

I'm personally redoing the templates for Adventurers; while DFRPG made some nice mechanic and presentation changes, it's still not quite what I want:
  • Using PK's "Will and Per are unlinked attributes" rules.
  • Borrowing from Eric Smith's(?) "DF on the Cheap" rules and rolling 175-point templates.
  • Including Artificers as an alternate for Thieves.
  • Including Antonio Munros's Mystic Knights as an alternate for Holy Warriors.
  • Adding a Character Advancement section to my document to give players an idea of what they can grow into: Auras for Holy Warriors, more Songs for Bards, etc. Most of this comes from DF 3, DF 11, and various Pyramid articles.
I'm also redoing Spells, tying Wizardly spells more closely to Magery level (as has been suggested somewhere in the subforum, I thought it was a good idea and a missed opportunity) and reducing other-spell prerequisites except where it makes compelling sense (e.g., Explosive Fireball requires Fireball). I'm also adding in some Plant Spells from the Plant Spells Magic supplement for Druids and adding in an Imbuements section for the Mystic Knights.

I'm pretty happy with the rules in Exploits - I don't see a need to modify anything from there.

I had already done a lot of this work previously for my DF campaign, so it's not too much effort to modify it for the DFRPG changes.

Last edited by shadedmagus; 09-18-2017 at 02:34 PM.
shadedmagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadedmagus View Post
Borrowing from Eric Smith's(?) "DF on the Cheap" rules and rolling 175-point templates.
No knock on Eric intended, but I personally have found the templates in Henchmen to be much more usable at those point totals.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Right now my only house rules are to add in Allies and have PI and Holiness add to Esoteric Medicine and Exorcism rolls.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #17
Bruno

At this point, I'll either be running DFRPG entirely unmodified or I'll be going full on GURPS DF + pillaging from the DFRPG liberally + houserules.

The most drastic thing I'm likely to do is run entirely with Sorcery, Divine Favor, and psychic stuff, rather than the Spells system. That pretty much requires starting with a base of GURPS rather than a base of DFRPG. I'd also probably bring back most or all the races from DF3, modified in my usual way to purge racial Appearance (we hates it, precious) and try to fix racial templates that are just collections of advantages/disadvantages you could have taken otherwise.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #18
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

The biggest house rules I'll be using in DFRPG are ones I use across all of my GURPS games.
1: Fast-Draw (Weapon) is a Perk. You don't roll for it most of the time, but if the situation is precarious (Grappled, falling, hanging from a branch) I have you roll against your Weapon skill.
2: Parry Missile Weapons is a technique based on the weapon. So you can train in Parry Missile Weapons with your Katana, but it doesn't help you parry missiles with your Knife.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #19
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadedmagus View Post
Borrowing from Eric Smith's(?) "DF on the Cheap" rules and rolling 175-point templates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
No knock on Eric intended, but I personally have found the templates in Henchmen to be much more usable at those point totals.
They were made at different times for different purposes. My article pre-dated DF15 by 2 years, and I'd started writing it a year or more before that.

The original idea behind my DF on the Cheap was to roll the templates down to 200 points to allow for the stacking a Racial Template or a Mixed Profession lens in a 250 point game. Rolling the point budget back further was a natural extension of that and the 150 point versions allow for the addition of both a Racial Template and Mixed Profession lens if desired. The 100 point versions came much later, after somebody requested them.

FWIW I do think that the Henchmen templates work better in some ways. Personally I make all of the options available at character creation, the Henchmen + Delver lens, the DF on the Cheap + Mixed Profession, or the standard Delver templates. I've never run a DF game using less than the standard 250-point starting level, so I've never used my lenses to run a "first level" campaign, but I have had several people use them to take some Mixed Profession lenses.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #20
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
They were made at different times for different purposes. My article pre-dated DF15 by 2 years, and I'd started writing it a year or more before that.

The original idea behind my DF on the Cheap was to roll the templates down to 200 points to allow for the stacking a Racial Template or a Mixed Profession lens in a 250 point game. Rolling the point budget back further was a natural extension of that and the 150 point versions allow for the addition of both a Racial Template and Mixed Profession lens if desired. The 100 point versions came much later, after somebody requested them.

FWIW I do think that the Henchmen templates work better in some ways. Personally I make all of the options available at character creation, the Henchmen + Delver lens, the DF on the Cheap + Mixed Profession, or the standard Delver templates. I've never run a DF game using less than the standard 250-point starting level, so I've never used my lenses to run a "first level" campaign, but I have had several people use them to take some Mixed Profession lenses.
I ran my DF game for six years and started characters at 200 points so your scale backs were essential once we had them (Helped a lot that they were added to GCA).

So thank you!

I'm running the new DFRPG now and bumped up to 250, so it's an all new world now.