Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2021, 05:41 AM   #1
Anth

Default Physical disadvantages

Hi,
still my DnD-coversion, but these are "home made curses" so they have nothing to do with DnD.
I think most of them could use a combo of negative appearence level, unnatural features, supernatural features for -5 or -10 points total.

The thing I'm most uncertain of if how to use mitigator (hide the features).
I found the Bad Sight mitigator for -60 %. Is it OK to use -60 % below?

Bell's Palsy
One side of your face is paralyzed.
You look weird and have have a speech impediment (you slur).
This should be something like a negative Appearence Level for negative reaction roll and an Unnatural Feature as it's hard to disguise.

Hypertrichosis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertrichosis
Your whole body is covered with hair, almost like fur.
You can shave, but as this is a curse the hair will grow back again within a day, or in any stressful situation like a fight.
This isn't necessarily a negative appearence, but it's certainly an unnatural feature.
The possibility to shave is a mitigating effect, as the character is a wizard who can use the spell Haircut. But it isn't that great mitigating effect, as the hair will grow back during a fight so the opponents will probably believe he is a werewolf.

The eyes are starry voids
If someone look into your eyes they see a black void with some sparkling distant stars.
This is definitely a Supernatural Feature, but it can also be mitigated with large black glasses or goggles.

An extra eye in the chest
You can't use the eye, it's not yours. It's if someone unknown force is looking through the eye. As it's a curse the eye will regrow if it's damaged.
This is definitely a Supernatural Feature, but it can also be mitigated by just wearing normal clothes.
Anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:49 AM   #2
coronatiger

Default Re: Physical disadvantages

For #1, consider Disturbing Voice.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
For #1, consider Disturbing Voice.
That's an idea.
But I don't think I can take -10 for appearance and -10 for voice. Bell's Palsy isn't that disturbing.
So either I create a new disadvantage, Bell's Palsy, that is -10 points and -2 on reaction rolls,
or I have one visual disadvantage for -5 points and -1 reaction rolls, and one voice for -5 points and -1 reactions rolls for att total of -10 points and -2 reaction rolls.
On top of those -10 point the character is still eligible to unnatural features as it's hard to disguise.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
But I don't think I can take -10 for appearance and -10 for voice. Bell's Palsy isn't that disturbing.
So either I create a new disadvantage, Bell's Palsy, that is -10 points and -2 on reaction rolls,
or I have one visual disadvantage for -5 points and -1 reaction rolls, and one voice for -5 points and -1 reactions rolls for att total of -10 points and -2 reaction rolls.
On top of those -10 point the character is still eligible to unnatural features as it's hard to disguise.
Don't think in terms of how many character points are worth a particular effect. Consider what the effects of a particular trait is, then find the disadvantages that do that trait. Don't just look at the disadvantage names and pick those that sound like they describe the trait. You need to pick disadvantages that are game-mechanically appropriate.

"You look weird"

Does looking weird give you a reaction penalty, or does it just make you stand out? If the former, take Unattractive [-4]. If the latter, take a Distinctive Feature quirk: "Face looks weird from palsy" [-1].

"and you have a speech impediment."

Does your speech impediment make people react to you badly and you have difficulty using verbal influence skills (take Disturbing Voice [-10] for a -2 penalty), or do you just stand out because of your voice (take a Distinctive Feature quirk: "Slurred speech" [-1]).

If the effects differ from these, define what the effects are and you can better find the correct GURPS traits.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
Bell's Palsy
One side of your face is paralyzed.
You look weird and have have a speech impediment (you slur).
This should be something like a negative Appearence Level for negative reaction roll and an Unnatural Feature as it's hard to disguise.
I've had this. My speech didn't slur. I, and the vast majority of people who get this, recovered in a couple of weeks. I don't see that this is worth points unless you're talking about absolutely the worst case of Bell's Palsy you can get.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
I've had this. My speech didn't slur. I, and the vast majority of people who get this, recovered in a couple of weeks. I don't see that this is worth points unless you're talking about absolutely the worst case of Bell's Palsy you can get.
My mother has it as well. It does cause the face to be asymmetric, which can justify a -1 appearance modifier. It’s not exactly unattractive, but I would rate it the same way, and call it a -5 point disad.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:07 PM   #7
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
My mother has it as well. It does cause the face to be asymmetric, which can justify a -1 appearance modifier. It’s not exactly unattractive, but I would rate it the same way, and call it a -5 point disad.
Had. Past tense. Long since recovered. I only has it for 10-14 days, and during that time I don't recall my face being asymmetric.

The most annoying thing to me about having it was that my sister kept trying to get me to smile so she could see the half-smiling face.

For it to be worth -5 points or whatever number you arrive at it's going to have to be the most severe permanent version.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:31 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
I agree. I had it for the oddest of reasons; shingles in my nose and facial nerve. I only noticed from the mirror and those I lived with. I recovered even more quickly once I got anti-virals.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:21 AM   #9
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Don't think in terms of how many character points are worth a particular effect. Consider what the effects of a particular trait is, then find the disadvantages that do that trait. Don't just look at the disadvantage names and pick those that sound like they describe the trait. You need to pick disadvantages that are game-mechanically appropriate.

"You look weird"

Does looking weird give you a reaction penalty, or does it just make you stand out? If the former, take Unattractive [-4]. If the latter, take a Distinctive Feature quirk: "Face looks weird from palsy" [-1].

"and you have a speech impediment."

Does your speech impediment make people react to you badly and you have difficulty using verbal influence skills (take Disturbing Voice [-10] for a -2 penalty), or do you just stand out because of your voice (take a Distinctive Feature quirk: "Slurred speech" [-1]).

If the effects differ from these, define what the effects are and you can better find the correct GURPS traits.
Thnx.
As I try to get back my GURPS Fu, all suggestions how to think are of tremendous help.

But after reading all other comments saying that Bell's palsy isn't that bad I think the easiest solution would be that it's only a 5 point disadvantage with a -1 reaction roll.
Yes people can hear that you speak a little bit differently, but its not as much as it's worth any points.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:36 AM   #10
Pbuckley

Bells Palsy ranges from a temporary -1 to reaction modifier. to a Permanent level of Unattractive, and Disturbing Voice. Based on severity. I'd deal with it on a case by case basis.

If you must though I'd have 2-3 Templates to track different severities of it's permanent forms. Or long term cases, as it can last for quite a while but still be recovered from in some cases, as I saw with a favorite actor of mines recovery from a stroke. As he had Palsy for like 6-12 months but still recovered from it, at least as far as I can tell. Which could still be a significant amount of a campaign, enough that the player could start with it, but buy it off over the campaign.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote