Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2021, 08:06 AM   #11
Astromancer

Default Re: A Yttarrian Campaign I'm Planning. Please Kiibitz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I think you're pilling in too many ingredients to the stew. You have an entire city and its culture being banestormed to Yrth. That in itself would make for a medium-sized campaign as the cultures learn about each other.

Then you have PCs who were captured, turned into Hawkmen, and given new sets of memories. Why was this done? It's the kind of thing that annoys people a lot when it comes out, and is liable to turn Yrth societies against the Hawkmen. One city taking on a much larger area is not good strategy.
The city has lost most of its armies and especially it's young men. The hawkfolk are desperate to survive. Their plan is a flawed panic plan.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:14 AM   #12
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
King Alerion is Brian Blessed on the outside. Inside he's Lord Vetrinari. (Correct spelling later).
Oh, right. King Marty Stu.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #13
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Oh, right. King Marty Stu.
Lord Vetinari is Lord Marty Stu. He's a power player, figures like King Alerion are generally pretty competent. Look at Elizabeth I of England, Julius or Augustus Ceaser, Thomas Jefferson, Christina of Sweden, Peter the Great, Mary Sues and Marty Stus the lot of them.

Maybe I should have said Alerion was Brian Blessed on the Outside and Walsingham on the inside. Note: as with Miss Marple, the outside is real, but not the whole story.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-03-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #14
Astromancer

Three terms to describe some features of Hawkfolk society. This society is Patriachal, Matrilinear and Avunculocal.

Although like ancient Nordic and Celtic societies (or most modern Fantasy fiction societies) the Hawkfolk look very good when compared to Victorian England, Ancient Greece, or 19th century America, on issues of Women's rights, this is a society where men are dominant. The Hawkfolk are often described as an Amazon society in Meglos and Al-Wazif, but that's a common reaction to societies that are less repressive of women.

Matrilineal means that descent, and in Hawkfolk society inheritance, goes through the female line. In Europe, the "Son of the Father" was the heir. Among the Hawkfolk the "Son of the Mother" is the heir. This leads to a relaxed view of sex in general and homosexuality in particular. In Patrilineal societies, it's vital to know who the child's father is. Thus chastity and sexual fidelity for all women are vital. Since it's normally vastly easier to know which woman is the mother, matrilinear societies don't need to focus on sexual control.

Avunculocal societies are a type of patriarchal matrilinear society where a man's heirs are his sister's children. The former King was Alerion's maternal uncle. The most capable children of Alerion's sisters will be candidates to be his heir. The family home and/or lands passes from the uncle to his nephew (occasionally his niece).

The society of the Hawkfolk isn't strange to anthropologists, but Yttarria's humans will find them strange and warped.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #15
DangerousThing

Quote:
Small consorts of Mages can play together for more potent effects.
So the mage and him minuscule lovers can do magic together? :)
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #16
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
So the mage and him minuscule lovers can do magic together? :)
A consort of musicians is a classical pick up band. Because a group of mages could play and sing multiple times in several different keys they can employ multiple verbs and nouns in a syntactical magic system.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-03-2021, 12:50 PM   #17
Astromancer

Like the Incas or the Medieval Chinese, the Hawkfolk ai skilled at building agricultural terraces on steep mountain slopes. They also know about biochar and (term supplied later) so their terraces stay fertile. As the Hawkfolk are skilled at earth and water magics (Hawkfolk don't like spending to much time working with the ground) and are good at creating useful springs in the mountains. Add in the Bless Crops spell and the Hawkfolk have a secure agriculture. Or they did.

The Hawkfolk are busily trying to build a new agricultural infrastructure.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-03-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:11 PM   #18
Proteus

What are they doing for food in the year (or probably more) that it will take to re-establish their agricultural infrastructure?

Food Pirates from the Skies?

And are they vegetarian, or do they also maintain herds/flocks of livestock?
Old 01-03-2021, 02:35 PM   #19
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
What are they doing for food in the year (or probably more) that it will take to re-establish their agricultural infrastructure?

Food Pirates from the Skies?
The city, which I'll describe later, came through the Banestorms with its granaries and treasuries. Food was tightly rationed for a while. They still don't have food security. But they were able to trade with the elves, Caithness, and Al-Wazif.

The Hawkfolk, exploiting the civil war in Caithness and repression in Meglos, have offered fifes to local peasants. As the farms are secure from raiders and the terms are generous, they get plenty of takers. The Hawkfolk don't pester the peasants and provide safe and stable farms so the peasants stay of their own volition.

Mine you, they have raided some manors in Meglos.

Quote:
And are they vegetarian, or do they also maintain herds/flocks of livestock?
They do, few of these came through with the city. They're both looking for good or improvable pastures and quality livestock. As the Hawkfolk prefer to farm and pasture in the high mountains and hills they favored goats and sheep.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-03-2021, 03:32 PM   #20
Proteus

Quote:
The Hawkfolk, exploiting the civil war in Caithness and repression in Meglos, have offered fifes to local peasants. As the farms are secure from raiders and the terms are generous, they get plenty of takers. The Hawkfolk don't pester the peasants and provide safe and stable farms so the peasants stay of their own volition.
Wait a minute; I thought all that came through the Banestorm was a single aerial city.

So where are they getting the land to offer as fiefs unless they've taken it from someone who already owned it? In a feudal society, that ain't being a friendly newcomer.