Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #391
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
IC: Hey Nejora, you said you gonna stab the <explicative> "dredstrummers"... You got a "shiv" or what? Because that would be really cool. Once I heard of a soldier that took a great number of enemies with his survival knife; he ran into the forest and took them down one by one.
"Nah, I'd have to sharpen on of the ones in the mess first".

Quote:
Pacifica eventually takes the suggestions (and the official procedures) to put together a plan to "catch a Dreadstormer". She presents said plan to her colleagues during next day’s lunch time.

She suggests that "the team" (i.e. Pacifica's lunch time group) should take the presented approach instead of "improvising". She elaborates on the value of a "support network", something that must be established among "the team". Having information and a plan will help the effectiveness of response under "unexpected situations" (or so Pacifica explains).

I think would call for a leadership roll, moreso than administration... but switching them let you succeed, even using the default. good roll.

This is a plan for dealing with a discovered dreadstormer, not a plan for revealing one... correct? And will it be specific to the mess hall, the control room, or the generic ship space (hydrogen containers)?

Also, it appears that you don't have the tactics skill, so it won't be a very well grounded plan... but do you even want one?

Quote:
Acting will serve to let others think Pacifica feels sort of sick after the lunch, just in case she needs a cover for the "meeting day" with the Dread Stormers.
done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
So depending on how talent/skill fits into this, I'll have Photorefraction 7 by breakfast tomorrow.
Photorefraction 5, actually. You'll have 24 points in that and 12 in confuse. Your talent and skill will be at full strength, any alternate abilities will be at half.

Quote:
Hm... Can I make an IQ roll to retroactively establish a hiding place for messages in case meeting time cannot be made? Failing that, can I get close to the meeting place at some point during my shift (hopefully before)? What are the odds someone would find any message I leave at the meeting place?
IQ? hmm... I think I'd prefer a skill roll against something like tactics, streetwise or smuggling. I suppose you can roll at IQ+craftiness -5 if you want: that seems relevant. Soldier might work, at -2.Though I wish I'd indicated a difference between zorbani soldier and dreadstormer training.

If you want another player to make the roll against their skill instead of you (not in addition to), that's acceptable

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #392
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
IQ? I suppose you can roll at IQ+craftiness -5 if you want: that seems relevant.

If you want another player to make the roll against their skill instead of you (not in addition to), that's acceptable
For better or worse IQ + Craft - 5 is equal to Day's tactics, and he's the only one who took any of the three skills:

Quote:
[266] 21-01-14 18:46:07 CET
IQ + Craft - 5

3d6 <= 13 : 3 + 4 + 1 = 8 ... success
Probably should mention I'd prefer to do this an opportune time before hand.

I assume I can recycle my window room cover with Thibi? Assuming yes, will Holdout a pen and scrap of paper and slip away in the window room. Then I'll write something like "Shift change; will attempt to meet next meeting window" [i.e. first after 01:06, 09:42, or 17:56]

Quote:
[267] 21-01-14 19:00:27 CET
Holdout
3d6 <= 16 : 5 + 2 + 2 = 9 ... success

[268] 21-01-14 19:00:53 CET
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 6 + 6 + 3 = 15 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #393
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I assume I can recycle my window room cover with Thibi? Assuming yes, will Holdout a pen and scrap of paper and slip away in the window room. Then I'll write something like "Shift change; will attempt to meet next meeting window" [i.e. first after 01:06, 09:42, or 17:56]
Yes, you the window room cover will work with Thibi ... she's rather easy to steer into doing things, and as mentioned, easy to sneak away from. The note is placed.

The first meeting will occur tonight during sleep for Pacifica and work for Daymar (normal times and procedures). The second meeting will occur during off-hours for Daymar and Hua, and work for Pacifica. A third window is also possible during Pacifica's off-hours and the dead of night for the other two.

I think we're ready to run the first meeting now.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-18-2021, 11:42 PM   #394
Hide

Quote:
This is a plan for dealing with a discovered dreadstormer, not a plan for revealing one... correct? And will it be specific to the mess hall, the control room, or the generic ship space (hydrogen containers)? Also (...) it won't be a very well grounded plan... but do you even want one?
OOC:

The (trap) plan is for dealing with a discovered Dread-Stormer.

In respect of this (trap) plan, Pacifica made some room for opinion exchange; so, if one of the guys at the table could add to the plan, it would be well received by Pacifica. As you deduce, the (trap) plan need not be well grounded; I think it should be believable though, the goal is learning the enemy’s tactics, I want Pacifica to have an edge when dealing with anti-Dread Stormer traps and would like Pacifica to understand their tactics.

Note: It's a trap!

On the other hand, the support network will be a feed/hub for Pacifica's exposition sense, hopefully this will help her to learn about people working on revealing Dread-Stormers.

Let's head to the meeting:

Pacifica's displacement (14-2)
3d6 <= 12
2 + 1 + 6 = 9 ... success

Pacifica's stealth (15+4)
3d6 <= 19
4 + 2 + 1 = 7 ... success

For this meeting Pacifica carries pen and paper (in her pocket), in the occasion her teammates want to take notes.

Let's see if she resists her obsession:

Pacifica's CR:
3d6 <= 15
1 + 1 + 1 = 3 ... success (LOL, she gracefully resists)

Who arrives first, and where's Hua's note?

She will report:
  • That she has a very active role in her designated area helping others, and that she worked in the ship's improved shift-plans (as I understood).
  • The letter she received from Zibo, which suggests Pacifica should/may take a role in the extra hands (and that she joined the "group").
  • The passwords she has gathered (comment what kind of passwords she has), and will share those that might be of interest to the team.
  • The names of AND designation of targetable people she's found (to create scapegoats, diversions, allies, etc.)
  • The interview she had after the extraordinary events in the ship (shots/fire and so on); she will also ask about the roles of her fellows in the events.
  • When it comes to the new rendezvous, she suggests to meet during her off-hours, as it would be complicated leaving her station otherwise.
  • She also mentions she has pen and paper if they need to make annotations (for the complicated stuff, such as passwords).
  • Finally, she asks her friends if they could fetch her a pair of Karatands (the flexible gloves that harden when attacking). Karatands will be useful against bullets.
(BTW, how legal are Karatands in the ship?).

Pacifica has an idea to brain wash people faster:

IC:

I think we should deal with the medics; everybody should visit them once in a while.
Turn the medics, then...

Have the doctor run a series of random checks.
I think you could say the doctor found some intoxicated people, and that he would like to rule out that it was the "new" food. He will have to do urine and stool-ova & parasite examination. Then the doctor will summon the people we need.

Let's imagine you go first, then the others.
You take longer to get out because, maybe, you took longer in the bathroom.
But no, you are just (waiting) about to leave.
Then the doctor says, hey Day, the nurses are registering your samples.
Just hand this person that thing I put over there and leave.

I guess it could work, but you are the expert(s) here.
How about it?

Last edited by Hide; 01-18-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:33 AM   #395
GnomesofZurich

Daymar keeps his head down for a couple of days after the near-miss in the mess, and then needing to subvert the new cooks. Knowing that he can trust in Pothi's discretion, he slips away for the meeting. After relaying his experiences to Hua and Pacifica, he says, "We need a break-through here. I've heard nothing about the people I subverted, so that may be a bust, and since they rotated cooks I had to re-condition them to avoid suppressants in my food. I need to get access to some people higher in the chain of command. I'm also not sure how much time we have - I can, once, take the engines out for a day or so, but don't want to play that card until we need it. How do you think we should proceed?"
Old 01-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #396
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
(BTW, how legal are Karatands in the ship?).
They aren't the sort of things that will be standard issue, and most sections are forbidden from bringing personal weapons on board. Security and Officers might have a pair personally. I don't know that they'd actually block bullets though: that'd be a lot of armoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
" I've heard nothing about the people I subverted, so that may be a bust"

Note: Both Hua and Pacifica have seen things that may be from the subverted people...

I also need rolls for people making later meetings (Daymar can visit during off hours freely, but his normal tactics won't work for the third window, because he's supposed to be asleep).

Last edited by ericthered; 01-19-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:23 PM   #397
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I have the idea that everybody in the ship wears tags with their names, and that these tags are always visible, hence my comment. It seemed logical to me that he would remember the names of the subverted, if such names were hinted.

You are absolutely correct. Everyone wears name-tags (that was important when Daymar stole the uniform). So he would know the names of the people he tagged... if he makes his IQ roll.

Quote:
She also is wondering about Hua, who/how do we find Hua's note?

Hua is always the last to arrive, as she generally quickly ducks in on the other two to minimize the chance of Botha noting her absence. She is usually very punctual though, and when she is late, Pacifica checks the message location, and finds Hua's note.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #398
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I also need rolls for people making later meetings (Daymar can visit during off hours freely, but his normal tactics won't work for the third window, because he's supposed to be asleep).
Am I wrong in thinking that we won't be meeting three times, that the second and third are just contingency if someone can't make it to the first?
Old 01-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #399
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that we won't be meeting three times, that the second and third are just contingency if someone can't make it to the first?

Correct... but right now that contingency has been triggered. Daymar and Pacifica are at the meeting place and meeting time... but Hua is not, and has left a note:

Quote:
"Shift change; will attempt to meet next meeting window"

Old 01-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #400
Hide

OOC: Pacifica finds the note and reads it, she tells Daymar they might need to meet again.

IC: I can meet with you during my shift's off-hours, I just hope to find Hua when we arrive.

I will require your help with my buddy (Nejora); I can take her to Hua's spot (the window), and have her (Nejora) wait there. Could you make her believe we were stargazing when I "went missing"?