Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #1
Piperdog

Default Cardboard Heroes

I was childishly pleased with my cardboard heroes, despite some of art not being quite to my taste. It would have been better to have the same art style that we see on the covers (because it's just plain awesome). That being said, I loved having cardboard heroes and bases included in the set. However, it only wet my appetite so to speak; I now want a box full of 'em!

I would love to see SJG put out boxed sets of cardboard heroes/monsters (with new superior art) and hex bases, similar to what Pathfinder does with their bestiary and codex boxed pawn sets.
Piperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Ulairi

Default Re: Cardboard Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperdog View Post
I was childishly pleased with my cardboard heroes, despite some of art not being quite to my taste. It would have been better to have the same art style that we see on the covers (because it's just plain awesome). That being said, I loved having cardboard heroes and bases included in the set. However, it only wet my appetite so to speak; I now want a box full of 'em!

I would love to see SJG put out boxed sets of cardboard heroes/monsters (with new superior art) and hex bases, similar to what Pathfinder does with their bestiary and codex boxed pawn sets.
I would also like this and buy many boxes.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
GM Joe

I'd buy lots and lots of those, too.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Gnomasz

I feel like a Monsters book with cardboards for all monsters would be awesome, and could encourage buying physical stuff, which could be very FLGS-friendly.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I feel like a Monsters book with cardboards for all monsters would be awesome, and could encourage buying physical stuff, which could be very FLGS-friendly.
That could be good. And a related idea would be a Monster Deck.
Imagine a deck of cards with the back a picture of the monster so you can show players (and find the right one quickly regardless of stacking) and the other side has the monsters STAT block and notes.
Make the Art good enough and at least a few generic monsters and you could have people buying them for other games as well.
Those extra sales would also be advertising.

A monster deck could be used at the table or with a camera or scanner online as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
Yeah. This wouldn't be too tough to pitch to folks not in our ecosystem either. For example, I have the Pathfinder Bestiary Box and absolutely no other Pathfinder products.

This could be easily expanded as well. It wouldn't be too hard to amass monsters from freelancers (I have about 30 ready to be go and in publication format, actually, though about half of them still need someone to look at them; I assume Peter Dell'Orto and Christopher Rice are in similar situations), back issues of Pyramid, and other GURPS Dungeon Fantasy products. From these, you can make a Dungeon Fantasy Monsters supplement or two. Plus, many of these already have Cardboard Heroes from the Eighties (a couple in my pile are actually engineered to match existing Cardboard Heroes; GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 3: Born of Myth & Magic also has many monsters that match up with Cardboard Heroes), which would speed up production.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
JMason

I have to say that I frickin love these, and want more! Many of my old CBH are a bit worn down, and I expect these thicker solid figures to last much longer and better!

The idea of a monster box with stats and figures is a great one. I'd buy (or Kickstart) that in a second!

And btw, I'm a online gamer... I haven't had a regular face-to-face game in over 5 years... but I may try to fix that now ;-)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
DemiBenson

Plus one for buying boxes of monsters with monster cards.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
rknop

Thick cardboard heroes for use with bases are great. One big advantage is that they travel better than ones assembled into T or A shapes. You can stack a lot of flat cardboard heroes into a craft box, or into a binder with pocket inserts, whereas the empty space needed by assembled heroes means they eat up a lot of storage and transportation space.
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote