Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #51
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: Banestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I think the average peasant knew far, far less about Christianity than the average person in, say, the deep South. And I think the average person knew far more about paganism and how to perform pagan rituals - maybe with a Christian patina, maybe not - than we can see in the documents.
Do you mean the Deep South of the United States?

At what time?

After the First or Second Great Awakening?

Yes, because literacy rates were higher and evangelism was so successful.

In colonial times there were a LOT of unchurched folks in much of what we now think of as the South, and not just the lower colonies. I don't mean Indians; I'm talking about white folks. But of course that changed.

If you get a chance and want to know more, check out a book titled Southern Cross. It's about how the South became the 'Bible Belt.'

VA is not, of course, the Deep South (it's Upper South). I bring it up because I love VA and the tangent might be fun for you. It used to be that Virginians (under the king) had to go to church once a month of pay a fine. The church was the good old Co E-- but there weren't enough ministers and not too many towns for a long while, so people often only did the minimum attendance. Common practice the militia meets at the same time, and had dogfights, horse races, and eating and drinking gatherings after services.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #52
Beoferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez View Post
Is anyone aware of an official update to Banestorm's timeline that takes it past 2005? I'm sure the intention was not to lock in any changes as official, after the book was released, but I always liked the old JTAS updates that would trickle out about the Third Imperium that inserted new and interesting facts into the universe as it stood.
This touches on one of the possible failings (as I see it) of the Banestorm setting. If one is too wedded to the idea that for every year that passes in reality a year passes on Yrth, well then a great number of the adventure seeds provided in the worldbook are more than likely no longer operable. I'd love to do something with the reptile men in Blythe, but if we're saying that it's actually 2012 in Yrth rather than 2005 or so, then chances are they've been chased out. The entire civil war in Caithness is more than likely resolved, etc. This isn't much a problem for individual campaigns I suppose (you can just say that you're starting in 2005), but might this be an issue if anyone was to try get some adventures, encounters, etc. for the Banestorm setting published.

Maybe I'm just deluded though.
Beoferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #53
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoferret View Post
This touches on one of the possible failings (as I see it) of the Banestorm setting. If one is too wedded to the idea that for every year that passes in reality a year passes on Yrth, well then a great number of the adventure seeds provided in the worldbook are more than likely no longer operable. I'd love to do something with the reptile men in Blythe, but if we're saying that it's actually 2012 in Yrth rather than 2005 or so, then chances are they've been chased out. The entire civil war in Caithness is more than likely resolved, etc. This isn't much a problem for individual campaigns I suppose (you can just say that you're starting in 2005), but might this be an issue if anyone was to try get some adventures, encounters, etc. for the Banestorm setting published.

No, you aren't deluded.

I agree 100%

But the solution is hella easy. The date match up only matters if you are using crossworld PCs. And who cares if your PC crosses over in 2005 versus 2012? Does it matter? For the vast majority of PC concepts, I'm going with a huge 'nope.' Even the using the 1980s doesn't make much difference, unless you want your Earthborn PC to have been in the Gulf War or be born after the fall of the Berlin Wall, or something like that.

I kinda prefer 80s.

Big hair fantasy!
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #54
jason taylor

Quote:

Why not have Yrth be on a parralel timeline?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #55
Fez

Quote:

Even the current Banestorm book gives you the timeline of what has gone before and says "play in whatever year floats your trireme" - The last game I tried to get off the ground (unsuccessfully) was set around 1250, I think, as I didn't want a bunch of modern folks arriving bringing their crazy modern ideas into the game.

Tags
banestorm