Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
Wandering Monster

Default Sock Puppet

Does the restriction on the card refer to any card played or just ones that give or take away a combat bonus?
Wandering Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Sock Puppet

It covers almost all cards that might affect either side of the combat, including Wandering Monster, Monster Enhancers, one-shot Items, and discarding cards that might give a player a bonus (e.g., Warrior's beserking ability).

It might be easier to pick a card you want to ask about if it isn't one of the types I described above.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
Wandering Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
It covers almost all cards that might affect either side of the combat, including Wandering Monster, Monster Enhancers, one-shot Items, and discarding cards that might give a player a bonus (e.g., Warrior's beserking ability).

It might be easier to pick a card you want to ask about if it isn't one of the types I described above.
Wow! Thank you! So that monster is the ideal monster to fight if you're going for the win! Can you use the "Out To Lunch" card and other cards like that to get rid of the monster?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Anything that might remove the monster from combat would, in my opinion be affecting combat, and thus not be a legal play.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
Wandering Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
Anything that might remove the monster from combat would, in my opinion be affecting combat, and thus not be a legal play.
Woah! If I ever feel like cheating I should keep one of those up my sleeve to play when I'm at a level nine! :D Haha! Thank you for the answer!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #6
Ducallan

I hate to stir the pot, but what about something that is technically outside of the combat, like Steal A Level? It *does* affect the fight by changing the player’s combat strength, but only indirectly. More importantly, though, it can mean the difference between winning a combat and winning the game...

Is the intent of the card to stop all combat modifiers (i.e. the ones that stay in play until combat is resolved)?
Ducallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'm partially overruling previous posts here.

The text on the card is No one may play cards from their hand to fight or aid the Sock Puppet.

Discarding is, by definition, not the same as playing, so abilities such as a Warrior's berserk or Wizard's charm are usable. One-shot cards that are on the table are usable (because the prohibition is only against cards from the hand). And Steal a Level doesn't directly aid the Sock Puppet and would be playable.

Cards that would not be playable include monster enhancers, Wandering Monsters, one-shots from a player's hand (that affect the combat - a Wishing Ring is perfectly legal because it affects the Curse it's played to counter), and Out to Lunch or similar cards that directly change the conditions of the combat.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote