Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Wulffmeister

Default Looting a Hireling that's using an Item

I got a single question.
When you have a hireling, and equipped it with items/enhancers, and the case would be if you die, and someone decides to loot your hireling. Would the items come along?
So far, i havn't seen this scenario, but would be sweet to have settled Before it happens. I guess it would be written on the hireling/items/enhancers, if they are lost or looted??..
Wulffmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Looting a Hireling that's using an Item

Each player gets to loot one card from the corpse. All bonds between lootable cards are broken upon death.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 06-17-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Az_Rael

Default Re: Looting a Hireling that's using an Item

i hope i dont say anything wrong, but i think i remember someone saying (in the forum) that the hireling does NOT die, just cause you die. If the hireling would die the card (bad stuff) needs to say this clearly. So i guess the answer is, nobody can loot your hireling (cause he just runs away?^^)
Az_Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Clipper

That's an incorrect guess, Az_Rael. Your Hireling doesn't die when you die, but all the cards you have in your hand and on the table at the time you die (except the protected ones like your current Race/Class/etc.) are applicable to be looted. These cards include your Hireling and any Item it was carrying for you, and they count as two separate cards for the purposes of looting, as Andrew pointed out above.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Az_Rael

Oh, so you can loot the hireling itself (the card) and you can loot each item (and enhancer?) he had?

There is another hireling question we got last match: What happens if the hireling (thief hireling) equipped with this little Dagger for thiefs (comes back if it gets stolen or traded) changes his loyalty and comes to me duo to a cards effect? The "normal" items should come with him, but we where unsure about this dagger . . . we though the dagger goes with the Hireling, since it is equipped to him and not to you (so i dont "steal" the dagger, just the hireling^^)

thx a lot and sorry for the misleading thought.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az_Rael View Post
Oh, so you can loot the hireling itself (the card) and you can loot each item (and enhancer?) he had?

There is another hireling question we got last match: What happens if the hireling (thief hireling) equipped with this little Dagger for thiefs (comes back if it gets stolen or traded) changes his loyalty and comes to me duo to a cards effect? The "normal" items should come with him, but we where unsure about this dagger . . . we though the dagger goes with the Hireling, since it is equipped to him and not to you (so i dont "steal" the dagger, just the hireling^^)

thx a lot and sorry for the misleading thought.
Just to be clear: Each player may loot one, and only one, card from the dead player. So that means that a Hireling, an Item it was using, and any Enhancers (on the Item or on the Hireling) are lootable as separate and individual cards. You can not take the Hireling and all those other cards with it.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 06-17-2013 at 05:51 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Az_Rael

Quote:
Yeah, i meant separately looting, not "all at once". (again sorry for my english).
But what is it, with this dagger (dont got the name right here)?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
Sabin

I believe that the Boomdagger (the little dagger you mentioned) will not return to the original owner (much less the hireling), because when it was looted, it was "just a card". The person who looted you and took the Boomdagger would be putting that card into her hand (and playing it as a new and separate item from the one you had). An item card in the hand is not an Item, and does not have any of its item-ly attributes until it is played.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Az_Rael

Well this case is covered at in the cardtext (i think . . .) but to make it clear:
I was asking what happens to the dagger if a hireling is carrying the dagger and i "steal" the hireling (the hireling changes his loyalty and accepts me as his new owner :D)
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Clipper

This is by no means an official response, but I interpret that situation as follows:

The Thief Hireling says that the abilities of the Boomdagger count for you. Steal a Hireling (or similar card) takes your Thief Hireling away and the Hireling rules state that the Boomdagger goes with him. As the Boomdagger's ability counted for you when it was taken, it would count as being stolen and would come back to you on your next turn. However, if you are not a Thief, you would now need to turn the Boomdagger sideways as you cannot use it. If the Boomdagger is lost again before you find a way to use it, it would not come back to you (as it needs to be equipped for its powers to have any effect).