Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 06-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
by_dome

Default Hireling advantages and disadvantages in combat.

When a Classed or Raced Hireling is play, the card says something between the lines of "you can equip him with a 'only usable by *'. All of his bonuses and abilities count for you."

Well, I don't think an item (weapon) has an ability other than smash heads and throw some hits/avoid some others, for me weapons count as bonuses, not like abilities, so I move on to the matter of my main question regarding this guys.

If I have a companion Hireling of certain race or class, let's say a halfling, a monster with + bonuses against halfling/gnome (saying I'm a gnome), gets a +10 against us in this particular battle. So, we get some disadvantage of any monster because he's got a particular race, but if the monster has some -bonuses with some class or race, do we get'em??

We've been discussing this, as, How is it possible to have all of the disadvantages of having a hireling of this nature, but not any of his abilities other than carry specific weapons???

The owner of the set of cards claims to be like that, monsters get bonus, if a Vampire Wannabe is around and your hireling is a Cleric, you don't get the advantage of scaring him away.

Some clarification will be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 06-28-2013 at 04:42 PM.
by_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
StormCrow42

Default Re: Munchkin Hireling

The rules for race/class hirelings (in Need for Steed/Munchkin 4, among others) specifically state that you gain the bonuses and penalties against monsters as if you had that race/class unless you discard the hireling.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
DoomedDuck

Default Re: Munchkin Hireling

Quote:
Originally Posted by by_dome View Post
When a Classed or Raced Hireling is play, the card says something between the lines of "you can equip him with a 'only usable by *'. All of his bonuses and abilities count for you."
The card text actually says "its" bonuses and abilities, not "his". Some Items give abilities other than just the combat bonus (such as +X to run away, extra +2 against Undead, etc.) and that text is to clarify that even though you aren't the one using the item, you still get all of its bonuses and abilities.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Hireling advantages and disadvantages in combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by by_dome View Post
Not quite. These kinds of Hirelings say that they can use an Item that Race or Class can use, which includes Items that say, "Usable by X only," but also includes Items that have no Racial or Class-based exclusions

Quote:
Well, I don't think an item (weapon) has an ability other than smash heads and throw some hits/avoid some others, for me weapons count as bonuses, not like abilities, so I move on to the matter of my main question regarding this guys.
There are plenty of Items that have abilities beyond providing a combat bonus.

Quote:
The owner of the set of cards claims to be like that, monsters get bonus, if a Vampire Wannabe is around and your hireling is a Cleric, you don't get the advantage of scaring him away.
The rules specifically say that bonuses/penalties are affected by the presence of the Hireling, nothing else, so a Cleric Hireling can't help get rid of the Wannabe Vampire, but if you face a Monster that a Cleric gets a bonus against, you would get the bonus for having that Cleric Hireling. Unless, of course, you were already a Cleric, since you would have gotten the bonus already.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
by_dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Not quite. These kinds of Hirelings say that they can use an Item that Race or Class can use, which includes Items that say, "Usable by X only," but also includes Items that have no Racial or Class-based exclusions
Forgot to mention those late weapons, we're playing them correctly

Quote:
There are plenty of Items that have abilities beyond providing a combat bonus.
I know, but I specified weapons so we could start from there.

Quote:
The rules specifically say that bonuses/penalties are affected by the presence of the Hireling, nothing else, so a Cleric Hireling can't help get rid of the Wannabe Vampire, but if you face a Monster that a Cleric gets a bonus against, you would get the bonus for having that Cleric Hireling. Unless, of course, you were already a Cleric, since you would have gotten the bonus already.
Ok, so we get the bonuses but not certain abilities like scaring away the wannabe, so a wizard hireling or ranger hireling (not sure if there is any), can't discard it's hand to get rid of monster/ turn it into steed, rigth?
by_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Brf

Hirelings do not have "hands" as such.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote