Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Videophile

Default Dead Monster Does Not Fight Question.

We've had some disagreement about the "Dead" card. I did a search, but couldn't find an answer.

Here's the situation: I'm fighting a monster that I can defeat. A wandering monster comes along, which means that I would loose. So I play "Dead Monster Does Not Fight" on the wanderer, leaving the original monster. Next someone plays a "Friendship Potion." (Discard all monsters in combat. No treasure is gained but the player may loot the room.)

Here's the question: Do I get the treasure from the monster that is dead? The card says "Those who were fighting can now take its treasure without combat" so it sounds like I can. Others say that the dead monster becomes my friend, which is silly.

What say you Munchkin gurus??
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Dead Monster Does Not Fight Question.

I'm fairly sure Friendship Potion would not affect the Treasure of the already defeated monster. MunchkinMan heavily implies that in this post by saying you can't play Friendship Potion when there are no monsters present. In this case, there is a monster present, so you can play it.

If the other option were true (that the Dead monster's Treasure is removed too), then we would have an odd situation where you can remove a Dead monster's Treasure with Friendship Potion if there is another monster present, but you can't remove it if there is no other monster. I don't think that is meant to be the case, although stay tuned for an official response in case my logic fails.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Sometimes, the exact situation has a similar case that comes into play. I'm fairly certain that this thread actually answers the question effectively. I'll have to review it later when I have more time.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Videophile

Thanks! Those threads helped immensely.
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Clipper

To save anyone time from reading those threads, the previous ruling matches what I supposed earlier in this thread. Monsters defeated prior to the Friendship Potion being played are unaffected by it.