Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #81
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Moral power sources OTHER than Good/Evil, Order/Chaos?

Corruption against Purity

Collective gainst Individualism (protoss)

Sustainability vs unsustainability

Concentrated power (Burst) vs spread power

Long term vs short term

Complex vs simple

Intelligence vs ignorance

Fact vs fiction
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #82
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

I tried recommending this one but the way I phrased it made people start a discussion about religion. So now I'll phrase it differently ...

Existence vs Non-Existence.

One side you have the universe wanting to exist, and on the other side you have a ravening nothingness that wants the universe erased.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #83
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
I tried recommending this one but the way I phrased it made people start a discussion about religion. So now I'll phrase it differently ...

Existence vs Non-Existence.

One side you have the universe wanting to exist, and on the other side you have a ravening nothingness that wants the universe erased.
From Feist's Riftwar series, they're listed as "Maker" and "Breaker."
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #84
Xplo

INWO suggested "Weird" and "Straight" as viable poles; for that matter, you could import all the INWO alignments. Why have two opposing moral forces when you can have a sociopolitical pantheon's worth?

How about Turtle/Hare? Okay, maybe that's pushing the boundaries of "moral" (or for that matter, "sensible"), but anything can be justified if you wave your hands furiously enough. The Turtle symbolizes prudence, conservatism, and careful perfection in action and craft.. yeah, that's it...
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #85
Anders

Cats vs. Dogs?

Nerds vs. Jocks?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #86
Anaraxes

Ginger vs. Mary Ann

(Actually, you could extend that to putting all seven castaways into a pantheon of moral authority. Now I'm going to be thinking of parallels between Gilligan and Greek gods all day. Thanks a lot.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #87
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I'm not sure if I should post this here, or start my own thread.

I'm considering setting up a techno-pantheon. Something for an interstellar nation to set up as the "state religion," but which has no actual "supernatural" effects.

Basically, the interstellar nation has recognized the need for spirituality, and seeks a "trends rational" pantheon.

Being the plagiarist that I am, I've so far pulled "The Living Stars" and "The Cult of Ancestors" from The Lost Fleet. I'm considering adding in Deism (i.e. "Absent Creator," we make our own heaven or hell). After that...? I'm trying to assemble a few "iconics," which typify ideals that are good for a technological society... Not sure yet what I want...
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #88
GoodGame

Location: Video games destroyed my life. Good that I have 2 extra lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Being the plagiarist that I am, I've so far pulled "The Living Stars" and "The Cult of Ancestors" from The Lost Fleet. I'm considering adding in Deism (i.e. "Absent Creator," we make our own heaven or hell). After that...? I'm trying to assemble a few "iconics," which typify ideals that are good for a technological society... Not sure yet what I want...
Ideals (Idols) of Technology: Progress? Wealth? Power? Knowledge? Liberation/Recreation (from being freed from doing work thanks to the machines)?
GoodGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #89
William

Pathos, Ethos, and Logos.

Pathos: "It is most pleasing to do what makes people happy and avoids causing sadness. Act sympathetically."
Ethos: "It is proper to do what is right, and avoid wronging others. Act ethically."
Logos: "It is rational to do the most reasonable thing, and avoid error. Act logically."

Pathos on Ethos: "If your ethics cause sadness, they're inherently wrong."
Pathos on Logos: "If your logic doesn't make people happier, abandon it and follow your heart."

Ethos on Pathos: "Hedonism is shortsighted; ethics is historically accumulated wisdom that takes people's interests in to account."
Ethos on Logos: "Logic can lead to morally untenable outcomes, in which case it should be abandoned to go with what is right."

Logos on Pathos: "Following immediate gratification does not optimize long term outcomes."
Logos on Ethos: "Ethics that conflict with facts on the ground must be amended."

Pathos provides telepathic and empathic powers, especially emotion-based ones, as well as Social Advantages like Charisma, Social Regard, etc. Your power comes from a deep emotional understanding of yourself and others. Its moral code is based on doing what makes you and others happy. The balance between you and others varies by interpretation, so some Pathos-powered persons would be pacifists unwilling to hurt a fly (power disruption comes from violence), and others would be sadist hedonists who leech confident strength from successfully bullying others (power disruption comes from the shame of showing weakness). Pathos-wielders actually think that the other power sources are simply weak expressions of the emotional state of their own users.

Ethos provides powers of mystical guidance and moral support: Intuition, Oracle, Precognition, True Faith, Common Sense, and possibly others depending on the specific ethical code being adhered to. The nature of the code itself does not matter, in terms of the power; what matters is the adherence of the power wielder. Disruption, of course, comes from breaking the code. In-game codes that fit with this without hypocrisy would include asceticism, seamless garment pacifism, or a religion that claims any religion is a path to truth (or that all gods are emanations of the One God, etc.). Ethos-powered persons may be saints, zealots, or both. Spirits in service to a god or devil could be ethos-powered -- on both sides. Ethos-wielders actually think that the other power sources are simply deriving from the users' dedication to their own philosophies.

Logos provides powers for sensing (super-vision, hearing, etc.), analysis (eidetic memory, lightning calculator, Talent for tactics and strategy, limited Precognition from calculation, etc.), and iconic communication (i.e. the written and spoken word, and recordable data). Logos wielders who act irrationally -- on insufficient data, or failing to analyze the data or heed the analysis -- lose the benefits of their powers. Computers or construct spirits could be logos-powered. Logos-wielders actually think that other power sources are natural consequences of somewhat flawed reasoning.

A fourth power, newer on the rhetorical scene, is kairos: timing, the opportune moment, paying attention to one's audience. Associated powers would include Harmony with the Tao, Serendipity, Luck, Destiny (and infliction of a disadvantageous Destiny), Altered Time Rate, Extra Attack, and temporal or parachronic abilities. I'm uncertain what moral code this would come with, though. Being self-absorbed, overly planned, and unwilling to let go?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #90
William

Oh, hey.

Extremism vs. Moderation.

Extremists of any philosophy are granted subtle "powers" like Destiny, Luck, High Pain Threshold, and the like, as long as they're sufficiently fanatic.

Not sure what a devotion to moderation gets you (and how would you be really moderate?), but it's definitely an opposed morality. Maybe the freedom to act sanely in a given situation, basically. ("My power is not having to spend 24 hours in a yurt after touching blood, Tenzing.")
William is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moral powers, morality