Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #61
David Johnston2

Default Re: Resistance to Sex Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
No, it doesn't, as described in powers there is always an ultimate final level, which always costs +50%. I've posted the quote up thread.
No, the final level of penetrating costs 300%
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #62
whswhs

Quote:
It requires GM permission, but then again most things with cosmic seem like the sort of things GMs would require permission for.
The text you cite seems to say pretty clearly "Only for racially innate skills that are effectively equivalent to advantages." Taking Cosmic on something that amounts to an advantage doesn't strike me as a big exception. All right, maybe a succubus can have Cosmic Sex Appeal. . . .

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #63
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No, the final level of penetrating costs 300%
That was in reference to the defensive side. However your point is irrelevant to the argument; the costs of tiers don't soar ever upwards, there is always a fixed cost to the highest level, the other levels just fit in beneath that.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #64
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The text you cite seems to say pretty clearly "Only for racially innate skills that are effectively equivalent to advantages."
I really don't see how you came to the conclusion that it was only for those. If I say "some police officers are criminals" does it follow that only police officers are criminals?

I can't think of anything that might be justified as a racial ability that couldn't be justified as a super ability.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #65
whswhs

Quote:
I really don't see how you came to the conclusion that it was only for those. If I say "some police officers are criminals" does it follow that only police officers are criminals?

I can't think of anything that might be justified as a racial ability that couldn't be justified as a super ability.
"I was imprinted with an innate knowledge of Fast-Talk, without ever studying or practicing it"? That would be a really interesting origin.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #66
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Depends on your point of view...if the above is true than poor Cam may be very lonely. A practitioner with skill may BE a scumbag but the skill lets him appear to be something different...
Resistance to Sex Appeal doesn't mean being asexual.

Resistance to Sex Appeal only means that it is less likely for the would-be-seducer to succeed at getting a "hold" on you. You're more likely to retain your self-control so that you can make the decision, instead of the decision being made by your instincts.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #67
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
"I was imprinted with an innate knowledge of Fast-Talk, without ever studying or practicing it"? That would be a really interesting origin.
Have you seen White Wolf's Aberrant? Vast amounts of points in stuff like Fast Talk and related perks and advantages would seem to be how you would model something like Mega-Manipulation. Personally I always found the mega-social and mental attributes the most interesting.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 03-25-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #68
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
Having read a lot about the science of social engineering (it's one of my hobbies, but only academic, sadly), I tend to notice how woefully inadequate most gamers are at understanding just how powerful it is.
The illusion that one is completely in charge of one self, icluding one's reactions and emotions, and that there is no such thing as a subconsciousness or an unconscious mind inside one's head, is an extremely seductive one.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #69
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
I actually don't support that conclusion; I think it makes things too easy. Social Engineering offers fairly detailed rules based on the idea that a Very Good reaction is the standard threshold for getting physical. What a Good reaction gets you is a stroll in the moonlight, or private conversation in a hotel room, or "sure, you can buy me a drink."
Sorry, but that has got to be technology-dependent. Specifically, it has got to be dependent on the availability of realiable contracepties (and to a lesser extent, abortion methods).

In a low-tech setting, the threshold for a female character of fertile age needs to be higher, than in a present day setting.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #70
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Sorry, but that has got to be technology-dependent. Specifically, it has got to be dependent on the availability of realiable contracepties (and to a lesser extent, abortion methods).

In a low-tech setting, the threshold for a female character of fertile age needs to be higher, than in a present day setting.
Sorry, but that sounds a little too logical to have been normal human behavior.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heterosexuality, homosexuality, kromm explanation, new skill, sex appeal, social engineering