Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
lachimba

Default 4E GURPS Rules left to cover

What rules are there left to cover in GURPS 4E?

I think Social Engineering will add something significant.

The investigation rules in MH2 could be a little bit more genericised, but I suspect this would be pretty quick/minor to do.

The 'powers' books on the wishlist would cover some more rules gaps even if as more of a worked example variety.

What other rules do you think 4E books need to cover?

Last edited by lachimba; 05-15-2011 at 06:29 AM.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
Mailanka

Default Re: 4E GURPS Rules left to cover

We could always use more catalog items: More spells, more martial arts, more gear, and more powers. For that matter, a book detailing, say, chi powers and biological powers the way Psionic powers and Divine powers have been detailed would be nice. In fact, we could probably use more genre books. A wuxia book would be nice. A space opera book would be pretty welcome too.

I'd love to see political system that deals with land management and such, similar to the rules of Birthright and Houses of the Blooded. I often find I end up running game where the players have great political power, and while I expect Social Engineering will give me lots of tips on how they might persuade other people to go along with their policies, it won't really manage things like what resources your lands produce and what your land needs, and how those resources will allow you to maintain your power (ie, how much food and metal do you need to maintain an army) (I know Low-Tech Companion 3 covers some of that, but it covers it the way the Discovery Channel covers farming and such: Detailed and in a realistic manner, so you know what the actual numbers. I'd like to see something a little more game-usable, like how Mass Combat treats war)
Old 05-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
adm

Ahem;

GURPS VEHICLES.

Thank you.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
OldSam

I'd like to have Company / Organization Rules similar to the Mass Combat Rules, allowing abstract conflicts between Group A and Group B over longer times (including factors like resources and manpower). For instance check if the Mafia or the Yakuza gains the control over a territory or something like that. (Maybe Social Engineering has enough material for that but I don't know, yet)

--

Rather than a new complex build-system for vehicles, I would like to have vehicle catalogs like "Modern Fighter Jets", "Sports Cars of the 80s, 90s, and 00s" and things like that...

Though I would appreciate a vehicles build-system that is familiar to the Spaceships-System, thus not too detailed and with already known mechanics.

--

I want one or more Bestiary Volumes as printed books! (

--

The Power-Ups-Titles from the Wish-List:
- All Wildcard Skills in one book, presented in an all-embracing way, so that all Wildcard Skills could also be used as an alternative comprehensive skill system.
- All Talents in one book, also discussing the use of talents, giving rules recommendation to not let talents become too powerful with respect to attributes, restricting combat talents etc.

--

Generally more ready-to-go stuff for the GM, like worked out encounters, one-shot adventures and/or campaigns, interesting hot spots etc.

Last edited by OldSam; 05-15-2011 at 01:41 PM.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
The Power-Ups-Titles from the Wish-List:
- All Wildcard Skills in one book, presented in an all-embracing way, so that all Wildcard Skills could also be used as an alternative comprehensive skill system.
- All Talents in one book, also discussing the use of talents, giving rules recommendation to not let talents become too powerful with respect to attributes, restricting combat talents etc.
A giant list of quirks would be really handy too.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
A giant list of quirks would be really handy too.
Yes, indeed, forgot that! *thumbs up*

Also I'd really like to have an official table with all disadvantages and advantages grouped by categories (physical, mental, mundane, supernatural etc.) and with page references.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
The investigation rules in MH2 could be a little bit more genericised, but I suspect this would be pretty quick/minor to do.
That not covered by GURPS Mysteries?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Fnugus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
What rules are there left to cover in GURPS 4E?

I think Social Engineering will add something significant.
I agree on this! Personally, though, I would LOVE to see some details on CoL. Sure there is a number and a *very* vague description of what it gets you... But some more detail on what exactly those 6 million $ a month gives you... Something like possible personnel lists, vehicles available, housing, land, estates, etc.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Ahem;

GURPS VEHICLES.

Thank you.
I'd certainly be interested in this if it comes out as elegantly as Spaceships did. The challenge with a system like this is that you have canonical vehicles already which aren't statted out with a published design system in mind.

Some kind of GURPS at Sea supplement, perhaps as a PDF series. You could slice it by time period (historical, fantasy, modern, scifi) or by play type (commerce, warships/pirates, aircraft at sea: seaplanes/flying boats/carriers, exploration and research, industrial ships: oil platforms/fishing/whaling, Undersea Kingdoms, and then setting-specific ships). Include expanded rules for swimming, diving, working/fighting underwater, etc.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
I'd certainly be interested in this if it comes out as elegantly as Spaceships did.
AFAIK, from what I've heard, the Vehicle Design System will be very complex, much more than GURPS Spaceships. Spaceships is fine for me, but the VDS will probably be too complicated for my taste. Fortunately one can use the vehicles built by others without using the system itself... ;-)

Tags
gurps, gurps 4e, rules, rules question