Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #51
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Some Custom Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense of Duty (Kittens) View Post
-Makes programs with copious goto statements
Wait, what language do you speak? Goto/return is the couple that I haven't seen for a long, long time.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #52
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Wait, what language do you speak? Goto/return is the couple that I haven't seen for a long, long time.

I am still learning, but I know some C++ at this point. All I know about the goto statement is that the command is distinctive and conducive to errors, leading to a significant number of people who want to do without it, but some state that it's worthwhile because it makes programs more compact. It seemed suitable for a GURPS quirk.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #53
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I am still learning, but I know some C++ at this point. All I know about the goto statement is that the command is distinctive and conducive to errors, leading to a significant number of people who want to do without it, but some state that it's worthwhile because it makes programs more compact. It seemed suitable for a GURPS quirk.
I'm mostly used to Batch, and I have the vaguest recollection of BASIC, but the two people versed in C (and other new programming languages) claim that there's no such thing as a pure goto.

Oh, but I still remember the
:start
blahblahblah
if errorlevel 0 goto start
kind of writing, where I could enter any cycle at an arbitrary point etc.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #54
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Maybe "Writes spaghetti code" would be a better Quirk.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #55
nerdvana

Quote:
Mea culpa :o I should know better, considering where I am. Of course I meant the computer games originally based on RPGs that share the title out of convenience.
I figured as much, but like I implied before, people calling CRPGs (which as you observed have little to do with table top RPGs) "RPGs" is a extremly minor pet peeve of mine. Sorry if it felt like I was going off on you about it. :)
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #56
nerdvana

Quote:
Maybe "Writes spaghetti code" would be a better Quirk.
I know some people who would class that as a full blown OPH. :D
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #57
cybermancer2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Just Kidding: You say many insulting comments followed by "Just Kidding" to diffuse the situation. For example, "boy, your sister looks like a used-up whore...Just kidding!".
And its equally annoying cousin:
Just Sayin': As above, except when challenged, you use the phrase "Just sayin'" as a defuser.
"Man, you look like something the cat threw up!" [upon noticing the evil glare in response:] "I'm just sayin'!"

Last edited by cybermancer2k1; 10-20-2009 at 06:21 PM.
cybermancer2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #58
cybermancer2k1

Rant: When upset, you enter into a stream-of-consciousness rant for several minutes that has the dual purpose of venting your displeasure and (hopefully) intimidating whoever upset you. Basically a quirk-level Rapier Wit. (Masterful TV example: Scrubs' Dr. Cox).

Name That Gun: Despite the name, you have the tendency to name all your weapons, usually following a general theme. (Ex: your .45 pistol is The Judge, your large knife is The Jury, and your AK-47 is The Executioner).

Last edited by cybermancer2k1; 10-20-2009 at 06:24 PM.
cybermancer2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #59
MagiMaster

Quote:
An -5 OPH with -80% accessibility (only applies to programmers that see your code) could work. :)

I think C/C++ has a true goto statement, but no one ever tells you it's there because they either don't know, or don't want you to know. Of course, it's possible this has been written out of the standard since I last looked. (Though if you've ever done assembly, where goto's all you've got, you'll start to understand why people want to get rid of it.)
MagiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:09 AM   #60
mlangsdorf

C has a goto statement, attached to labels. I wouldn't say the Linux kernel uses it all the time, but it isn't uncommon in driver initialization code, where you often have to unwind the process mid-way through due to errors.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, quirks