Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #31
Langy

Default Re: Falchions: is there a point in using them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
You can fast draw a falchion, you cannot fast draw an axe.

Also the topspike is very much irrealistic and almost every knownful GM would disallow it.
Eh? Since when can you not fast-draw an axe? I thought fast-drawing throwing axes was one of the RAW examples of fast-draw, though I may be mistaken.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #32
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Eh? Since when can you not fast-draw an axe?
A GM can always say "Yes, you can purchase Fast-Draw (Axe)", and I've done so before, but ...

Quote:
I thought fast-drawing throwing axes was one of the RAW examples of fast-draw, though I may be mistaken.
I'm not finding any examples of Fast Draw (Axe) in any of the PDF that I have. (909 entries for "Fast Draw", but no entries for "Fast Draw (Axe)".)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #33
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
A GM can always say "Yes, you can purchase Fast-Draw (Axe)", and I've done so before, but ...

I'm not finding any examples of Fast Draw (Axe) in any of the PDF that I have. (909 entries for "Fast Draw", but no entries for "Fast Draw (Axe)".)
I'm pretty sure it wasn't specifically mentioned as 'Fast Draw (Axe)', but instead used as an example of fast-drawing a thrown weapon. Something along the lines of 'you can Fast Draw a throwing axe and then throw it on the same turn', or something along those lines. May have been a knife, though, and the Fast Draw (Axe) bit was just from one of my characters once.

In any case, Fast Draw skill is specifically not limited to just the things explicitly enumerated in the Basic Set; it's explicitly mentioned that it's intended to be expanded into other items.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't specifically mentioned as 'Fast Draw (Axe)', but instead used as an example of fast-drawing a thrown weapon. Something along the lines of 'you can Fast Draw a throwing axe and then throw it on the same turn', or something along those lines. May have been a knife, though, and the Fast Draw (Axe) bit was just from one of my characters once.
Heh.

Quote:
In any case, Fast Draw skill is specifically not limited to just the things explicitly enumerated in the Basic Set; it's explicitly mentioned that it's intended to be expanded into other items.
Yep. Complete agreement here. I was more responding to it being mentioned as a published example, finding that such didn't match my memory, searched the PDF and figured that it wouldn't hurt to mention the results of said search. While its' not a published example, its' also not prohibited anywhere that I can find either.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #35
Dustin

Quote:
'other weapons that one could reasonably draw quickly'. Whether an axe falls into this category is going to be an arguable point. I don't allow it in my games, mostly on the theory that it's difficult to carry an axe in such a way that you can just grab the handle and pull it out ready to use. (Although with a customized scabbard/pouch of some sort I might allow it, but not when simply thrust through the belt as in typical wear.)
Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #36
Panzerfaust

As far as being unable to fast draw an axe, I don't see the reason behind it. Is that because they are an unbalanced weapon and you cannot parry with them the same turn you attack? You can still make multiple attacks with a weapon like that, you just can't parry with it. After all, all fast-draw really is is just drawing into an attack.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #37
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Most historical examples I can think of date from the Middle Ages.

It may be that the more recent examples were more likely to survive, but they clearly continued to coexist with thrusting weapons.
It may or may not be a GURPS falchion of which he speaks, but the reference I always remember is from1603-6:

Lear: ... I've seen the day, with my good Biting falchion, I could have made them skip...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #38
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
'other weapons that one could reasonably draw quickly'. Whether an axe falls into this category is going to be an arguable point. I don't allow it in my games, mostly on the theory that it's difficult to carry an axe in such a way that you can just grab the handle and pull it out ready to use. (Although with a customized scabbard/pouch of some sort I might allow it, but not when simply thrust through the belt as in typical wear.)
All you need to do is have the axe blade facing forward and hanging downwards, similar to a sword blade. It's not difficult to imagine a method of holding an axe like that. It'd then work exactly like a sword quick-draw. You might be able to quick-draw an axe that's in your belt blade-up, but it'd be more difficult.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #39
DanHoward

Falchion with spike

http://tinkerswords.com/FalchionS1.jpg

I wouldn't allow Fast Draw on any weapon that was Unbalaanced or Unready after a Parry unless you had the ST required to overcome this deficiency. Actually I'd allow the Fast Draw if you had a custom-made sheath but you still need to Ready it before being able to use it.

Last edited by DanHoward; 07-01-2012 at 03:47 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #40
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Also the topspike is very much irrealistic and almost every knownful GM would disallow it.
These images are supposedly of historical axes with top spikes (but knowing the internet, some may be modern).

http://p2.la-img.com/567/17164/5743132_1_l.jpg
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand...axe_-_1475.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awrose/3872692999/
http://users.wpi.edu/~jforgeng/Colle...eman%27s%20axe
http://www.cmmilitaryantiques.com/gallery.php?arid=3907
http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/p...eapons/axe.jpg
http://images.worthpoint.com/files/1...ed625c7968.jpg

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech companion 2, sword, swords