Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #41
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: two-bladed sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
Stupidity does not raise your intimidation factor.
Obviously stupid but still alive would intimidate me. Even if I'm sure I'm more skilled and will "win", it might be a pyrrhic victory.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #42
shawnhcorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Obviously stupid but still alive would intimidate me. Even if I'm sure I'm more skilled and will "win", it might be a pyrrhic victory.
"The world's best swordsman does not fear the world's second best; he fears the world's worst...because there's no telling what the idiot might do."
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #43
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
"The world's best swordsman does not fear the world's second best; he fears the world's worst...because there's no telling what the idiot might do."
Which is where the advice from Sigmund Ringeck (I believe) comes in. I can't remember the exact translation right now, but it basically boils down to "Don't worry about what your opponent is doing. Pay attention only to how you are fighting. If you are the better swordsman you will win."

In other words, if you are doing what you have been trained to do, anything unusual from your barely trained opponent won't be a factor.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #44
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
Which is where the advice from Sigmund Ringeck (I believe) comes in. I can't remember the exact translation right now, but it basically boils down to "Don't worry about what your opponent is doing. Pay attention only to how you are fighting. If you are the better swordsman you will win."

In other words, if you are doing what you have been trained to do, anything unusual from your barely trained opponent won't be a factor.
Unless it's something like 'pulls out a gun; blam!'
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #45
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Unless it's something like 'pulls out a gun; blam!'
That only works when your character has had severe dysentery symptoms and just wants to finish the shoot early.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #46
Ronin Rabbit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post

Bruce Lee said something similar in Tao of Jeet Kune Do- basically it summed up to not being focused on winning or losing, just focus on completing the task at hand.
Ronin Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #47
Danukian

Quote:
That looks like an excellent way to stab yourself in the gut, even with cinematic rules.
I loved the rules for mono-whip in Shadowrun 1E: even using cinematic rules, you had a 1 in 6 chance of cutting of a limb every time you drew or used the weapon!

Tags
bladed, rules, sword