Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #21
Ultraviolet

Default Re: Two-handed sword question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Martial Arts, p.123, Parrying with Two-Handed Weapons optional rules for a GM to allow "Dual-Weapon Parry" and "Multiple Parries" for Two Handed weapons.
Huh! I just noticed this rule states that a Critical Succes on Parry means the foe rolls a Critical Failure!
Is that a general rule I just hadn't noticed before? That a Crit Succes on Parry effects the foe as if he had Critically Failed his attack roll himself?
Or is this just a thing for Dual Weapon Attack in order to make those more risky? But just vs. large weapons as to be affected by this rule, that is.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #22
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
What's weird is that you can make a two-handed weapon one-handed, but you can't make an unready weapon readyable, so in theory, a greatsword would be faster than a bastard sword in the hands of a strong character.
Unbalanced Parry, not unready weapon, some weapons cannot be used for both a long attack and a quick in parry at the same time, just not physically possible, that's why if you want to parry with those types of weapons you have to do short attacks, aka, Defensive Attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Huh! I just noticed this rule states that a Critical Succes on Parry means the foe rolls a Critical Failure!
Is that a general rule I just hadn't noticed before? That a Crit Succes on Parry effects the foe as if he had Critically Failed his attack roll himself?
Or is this just a thing for Dual Weapon Attack in order to make those more risky? But just vs. large weapons as to be affected by this rule, that is.
Those are options specifically for Two Handed parries.

Personally though, I run where attack & defense must be rolled together, so I do have crit parries affect attacks, but I don't believe that's printed as an optional rule anywhere.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #23
GodlessRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Yes, that's a general rule. You just can't normally inflict two critical failures with a single critical success on defense, even if your opponent uses a Dual-Weapon Attack. See p. B381.
GodlessRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #24
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You're mixing mechanics. U parry is never ever called 'unready'.

It is in fact quite possible to negate the U parry. You just need to do a Defensive Attack. I don't think this actually reduces flexibility, since IIRC all offensive maneuvers more aggressive than Attack would preclude a parry anyway, and Defensive Attack is just as mobile as Attack.
You don't find it weird that a greatsword wielded in one hand doesn't have this problem?
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #25
pawsplay

Quote:
Unbalanced Parry, not unready weapon, some weapons cannot be used for both a long attack and a quick in parry at the same time, just not physically possible, that's why if you want to parry with those types of weapons you have to do short attacks, aka, Defensive Attacks.
What do you mean, "not physically possible?" And why is it more possible with the greatsword?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #26
SuedodeuS

Quote:
You don't find it weird that a greatsword wielded in one hand doesn't have this problem?
I brought this up earlier in the thread, and posted a simple fix - any 2h weapon with a thrusting Reach of 2 or better has Parry U when wielded in one hand.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #27
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
What do you mean, "not physically possible?" And why is it more possible with the greatsword?
It's about balance, if the balance is too far foward it's unbalanced and the weapon can't parry after a long attack, same with long axes and halberds...

Mind you, that's a generality, so there are certain parries which can be done after certain attacks, but that'd get complicated, so we just say that you can only parry after Defensive attacks for playability reasons.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #28
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I do find it weird that the Bastard Sword is dramatically worse as a one-handed sword than a Greatsword if you're strong enough. I'm not sure how that works, though maybe it's true?

Of course, a simple bypass if you're willing to give up the reach 2 swung attack is using a Longsword instead.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #29
pawsplay

Quote:
It's about balance, if the balance is too far foward it's unbalanced and the weapon can't parry after a long attack, same with long axes and halberds...

Mind you, that's a generality, so there are certain parries which can be done after certain attacks, but that'd get complicated, so we just say that you can only parry after Defensive attacks for playability reasons.
What are you talking about? A bastard sword is more balanced than a greatsword, one-handed, that's what makes it a bastard sword. That is, a cross between a longsword and a greatsword. What you are saying is the opposite of logic.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #30
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
What are you talking about? A bastard sword is more balanced than a greatsword, one-handed, that's what makes it a bastard sword. That is, a cross between a longsword and a greatsword. What you are saying is the opposite of logic.
Yes, which is why you put a second hand on the Bastard sword to recover in order to parry, at which point it's balanced in two hands and has no U penalty.

A Bastard sword, used in one hand, has a min ST 11 and has a U parry, it isn't Unreadied when you attack, it's Unbalanced to parry when you attack.
If you have ST 15, you can use a Bastard Sword in one hand and do a Defensive Attack for as much dmg as the ST 11 without any U penalty.

A Greatsword, used in one hand, has a min ST 24 without any penalty, though at ST 18 it can be used with one hand and becomes Unreadied after an attack.

Is that clearer?

Last edited by Ze'Manel Cunha; 05-07-2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Clarification

Tags
sword, two-handed swords