Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
kdarc

Default Two-handed sword question

I am rather embarrasingly confused about some of the rules for two-handed weapons such as the bastard sword and two-handed swords. The rules state that you can use a two-handed weapon one-handed if you have enough ST. But this confuses me with the bastard sword - using it one-handed is covered by use of the broadsword skill and weapon table.

So if one has high enough ST, does that mean he can use the two-handed weapon stats one-handed? And if so, shouldn't he be using the broadsword skill then?
kdarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Two-handed sword question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarc View Post
I am rather embarrasingly confused about some of the rules for two-handed weapons such as the bastard sword and two-handed swords. The rules state that you can use a two-handed weapon one-handed if you have enough ST. But this confuses me with the bastard sword - using it one-handed is covered by use of the broadsword skill and weapon table.

So if one has high enough ST, does that mean he can use the two-handed weapon stats one-handed? And if so, shouldn't he be using the broadsword skill then?

There's a lot more text dedicated to this in Martial Arts.

The short answer is "No, because Bastard Swords already have a one-handed entry in the weapon table - you don't get to add two one-handed entries, that rule is only for when one isn't already present."

That said, you're not entirely off course, because Martial Arts clarifies that the really strong greatsword guy IS using Broadsword, not Two-Handed Sword to one hand his weapon. There's a little chart showing which one handed skill goes with which two handed skill.

There's also an optional rule that one handing a "two-handed" weapon gives -1 to damage, which I think was very sensible and mostly solves the desire to wield a bastard sword "like the two handed line" in the first place. Doesn't help for Reach, but there are easier ways to get Reach in Martial Arts in the first place ;)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
OldSam

IMHO only -1 to damage is still very generous, because the strong guy who has the capability to wield a two-handed sword with broadsword-skill makes good damage anyway (and it's a real advantage to get one hand free, e.g. for using a shield or a second weapon).

Often practicing with a Katana two-handed - also with switches to one hand at times - I know that the problem is not only the loss of power while attacking (reflected by the -1 damage) but there is also lesser control over the blade, e.g. when someone tries to knock it out of the way or something like that.

Thus for anyone using a two-handed sword wielded with only one hand I would give a -1 penalty to parry attempts to disarm this sword (as a house rule). I think this rule is certainly appropriate and fair enough, though still not too harsh.
Or what do you think?

Last edited by OldSam; 05-04-2011 at 08:25 AM.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Bruno

Twohanded swords get a benefit for parrying in Martial Arts - wielded one handed, they loose that benefit. I think that covers it well enough :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Twohanded swords get a benefit for parrying in Martial Arts - wielded one handed, they loose that benefit. I think that covers it well enough :)
Yes, definitely, but I did not know that! Thanks for the information...
Where is it found? I must say that the index in MA is not good unfortunately, I searched for stuff about two-handed swords on several places but that did not came up. I even had difficulties to find that passage in "unorthodox attacks"...
Old 05-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
kdarc

Thanks for the info, that clarified a lot!
Repeating OldSam's question, are there any page numbers for the these rules? Just be nice to have them :)
kdarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Yes, definitely, but I did not know that! Thanks for the information...
Where is it found? I must say that the index in MA is not good unfortunately, I searched for stuff about two-handed swords on several places but that did not came up. I even had difficulties to find that passage in "unorthodox attacks"...
Martial Arts, p.123, Parrying with Two-Handed Weapons optional rules for a GM to allow "Dual-Weapon Parry" and "Multiple Parries" for Two Handed weapons.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
OldSam

Thanks, good to know... :)
Old 05-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
SuedodeuS

The bastard sword also gains a U to its Parry when wielded one-handed, while the katana doesn't. Looking at some other weapons, I'd say an additional optional rule would be that anything that can thrust with Reach 2 or more gains a U to its Parry when wielded one-handed. Otherwise you end up with the odd situation where an ST 24 character can use a greatsword one-handed with Parry 0, while using the smaller bastard sword gives him Parry 0U.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
The bastard sword also gains a U to its Parry when wielded one-handed, while the katana doesn't.
Really? Even with Min-ST x 1.5 or only with Min-ST x 2?
I though there is a general rule that Min-ST x 2 is needed to avoid unbalancing two-handed-weapons wielded with one hand or something like that...

Tags
sword, two-handed swords