Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #31
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Getting the Gods into the Magic System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
That's an interesting idea. Lots of great ideas in this thread for me to think through.

You guys are really forcing me to think about how I want people in the setting relating to the gods, and that's a good thing.

The form the gods take, and the gods' ability to mess around with the world, both depend on human thoughts, including beliefs, but also dreams and imagination. Almost nobody knows this, including among the gods. Gods seek worship because they want to be worshiped.

That's deliberately kept ambiguous. Many of the new gods have elements of gods that nobody has believed in for millennia. Since the setting is a future post-apocalyptic Earth, these old gods are the gods we know.

Good question! I need to think about this.
Some of this reminds me of the thought forms of the Five Earths setting.

Terry Pratchett's gods of the Discworld have a similar mechanic - belief made manifest. The more people and the more intensely they believe the more powerful the deity is. Also how people view the thought form changes the thought form itself.

The flavor vignette The Confrontation gives an insight to what may be running around. Time Trapper and Kyubey may be insanely powerful in their respective franchises but they aren't as powerful as they think they are in the Five Earths reality though they might give some ideas on the power of lower level deities.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #32
Greg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Some of this reminds me of the thought forms of the Five Earths setting.
By the way, I know you are involved with the excellent GURPS Wiki.

The main page
https://gurps.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

lists only four non-cannon settings, but there are a lot more than that in the Wiki. I don't know how to change it and I'm scared of messing up the Wiki if I try!
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #33
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
By the way, I know you are involved with the excellent GURPS Wiki.

The main page
https://gurps.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

lists only four non-cannon settings, but there are a lot more than that in the Wiki. I don't know how to change it and I'm scared of messing up the Wiki if I try!
Actually the first of those, Worlds of Infinite Worlds (Fanworks), is a hub for 35 non-cannon settings
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:28 PM   #34
Greg 1

Quote:
Actually the first of those, Worlds of Infinite Worlds (Fanworks), is a hub for 35 non-cannon settings
Right you are, but the main page still lists some non-canon settings but not others, while looking like it lists them all.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:29 AM   #35
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Right you are, but the main page still lists some non-canon settings but not others, while looking like it lists them all.
Changed the title of the box to Featured Contents, added in (view all pages), added "Sampling of" to the later two headers, and moved the article count to the box. That should clarify things.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:22 AM   #36
Greg 1

Quote:
Changed the title of the box to Featured Contents, added in (view all pages), added "Sampling of" to the later two headers, and moved the article count to the box. That should clarify things.
Thanks! That looks clearer!
Old 04-11-2021, 02:49 AM   #37
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
For instance, tie levels of Magery into Vows to a particular god. Magery is not inborn; it is acquired by taking a Vow:
That could easily put the Pact limitation on some or all of the mage's levels of Magery.

Magic in this setting could also be based entirely on Power Investiture, forcing all magic-users to be representatives of one or more gods. Different gods might offer different "portfolios" of spells - like the restricted spell lists for Clerics in Dungeon fantasy.

Alternately, magic users might need to deal with different gods if they wish to cast spells associated with various different gods. That would make the game a bit more like Voodoo Path/Ritual Magic, as well as creating complications when a mage tries to reconcile spells controlled by mutually antagonistic gods.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, religion