Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #11
lvalero

Default Re: Predicting opponent's movements to attack

A different approach to precognitive combat can be found here. I like it very much

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=13
Old 01-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #12
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
For the specific description ("break through their defenses") you might want it even more limited:
Increased DX (Precognition, -10%; Limited: Only to cancel penalties for erratic target movement or making a Deceptive Attack, -?%)
Not sure what the ? should be replaced with, but it seems limited enough that I'd just say it but the -80% cap and price it at 4/level.
That's the price of a skill, so definitely too cheap (since it's strictly better than buying skill up). -50% would mean 20pts would let you effectively always decrease enemy defenses by 1, which may be fair.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #13
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
That's the price of a skill, so definitely too cheap (since it's strictly better than buying skill up). -50% would mean 20pts would let you effectively always decrease enemy defenses by 1, which may be fair.
You're probably right. I was thinking Deceptive Attack is relatively uncommon (I guess because I haven't run many melee heavy games lately), but if it was "free penalty to opponent's defense" it would suddenly become very common.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:07 PM   #14
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
You're probably right. I was thinking Deceptive Attack is relatively uncommon (I guess because I haven't run many melee heavy games lately), but if it was "free penalty to opponent's defense" it would suddenly become very common.
It starts to get common in melee combat with skill levels above 20 (below that, you're still worrying about other penalties). At 26 skill, you can do a full Deceptive Attack with effectively no penalty to yourself.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #15
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
Is there a reason (Uses of DX in direct competition with others) wouldn't be a valid -20% Aspected limitation? That sounds closer to the mark.
Sharingan would probably help with cooperation in addition to competition though, like you could dance better with a partner, or coordinate combination attacks with a partner.

It also shouldn't in theory make you any better at hitting a completely immobile target, since it just helps you compensate for movements.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:09 PM   #16
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Sharingan would probably help with cooperation in addition to competition though, like you could dance better with a partner, or coordinate combination attacks with a partner.
And if it's precognitive rather than telepathic, not just basic coordination with what they intend to do, but compensating for the mistake they are about to make.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:56 AM   #17
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
It also shouldn't in theory make you any better at hitting a completely immobile target, since it just helps you compensate for movements.
Yes. There are a lot of ideas for extra, limited DX. That may be good stuff for some character concepts out there, but is it what the OP is looking for? The concept is a precog who can "break through foes' defenses", but a boost to DX doesn't do anything to defeat defenses, unless it's put specifically to some use such as Deceptive Attack. (A boost to DX does let the precog better hit a non-defending, unaware, or even completely immobile foe, which makes no sense for an ability intended to "break through foes' defenses".)

The question is interesting as "predict the foe" is relevant to more than just psi-type precogs. There's this in Animal Handling skill: "If you have Animal Handling at level 15, an animal’s attack and defense rolls are at -1 against you, because you can predict its behavior. At skill 20, the animal’s rolls are at -2." I've groused about this before: just as in the precog example, the TH mod makes no sense. (I'm completely unaware, defenseless, or even completely immobile; why do animals find it hard to hit me?) But the idea that the animal's defenses against you are lower, as you can predict its defenses, sounds fine to me.

So. Is there a way to take this defense-defeating predictive ability from Animal Handling, or an even better method if someone has it, and extend that to the OP's precog? And to any other cases where it'd make sense? Is there already something in Powers that lowers foes' defenses like this?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:22 AM   #18
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Yes. There are a lot of ideas for extra, limited DX. That may be good stuff for some character concepts out there, but is it what the OP is looking for? The concept is a precog who can "break through foes' defenses", but a boost to DX doesn't do anything to defeat defenses, unless it's put specifically to some use such as Deceptive Attack. (A boost to DX does let the precog better hit a non-defending, unaware, or even completely immobile foe, which makes no sense for an ability intended to "break through foes' defenses".)

The question is interesting as "predict the foe" is relevant to more than just psi-type precogs. There's this in Animal Handling skill: "If you have Animal Handling at level 15, an animal’s attack and defense rolls are at -1 against you, because you can predict its behavior. At skill 20, the animal’s rolls are at -2." I've groused about this before: just as in the precog example, the TH mod makes no sense. (I'm completely unaware, defenseless, or even completely immobile; why do animals find it hard to hit me?) But the idea that the animal's defenses against you are lower, as you can predict its defenses, sounds fine to me.

So. Is there a way to take this defense-defeating predictive ability from Animal Handling, or an even better method if someone has it, and extend that to the OP's precog? And to any other cases where it'd make sense? Is there already something in Powers that lowers foes' defenses like this?
I think the OP was looking for bonus to both attack and defence

If I was doing this to just limiting active defences I guess I would try and Cost DX "limited to just deceptive attacks" and the power mod

FWIW I think I agree with you re animal handling, maybe a better way to do it is the animal doesn't get a penalty to hit, but you get a bonus to defend?

(cost-wise it's really just a freebie off the skill cost, so it's a bit odd anyway)

As an aside does Dungeon Fantasy have an equivalent of the old Rangers & Dwarves preferred enemy bonus from AD&D?

I guess in some campaigns in setting experience in fighting a particular foe type could justify an advantage that give you bonuses against them

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-16-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:11 AM   #19
Eukie

I've tried to build extraordinary abilities of predicting an opponent's abilities as Compartmentalized Mind 3 (Evaluate Only, -30%; No Mental Separation, -20%) [75]. This lets a character make three Evaluate maneuvers each turn, which gives them +3 to attacks, representing excellent knowledge of when to strike for most effect. Combined with Deceptive Attack, it will help get through an opponent's defence.

The only problem is that it costs 25 points per +1, which is higher than simply buying up DX...
Eukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:49 AM   #20
NineDaysDead
Banned

Per "Abilities Enhancing Skills" (Power page 162) Precognition can give a +4 bonus to certain rolls. You can really use it in combat because it takes 10 minutes of concetration to use, in which time the only prediction is "the Enemy will kill you while you're helpless due to concentrating!". However if you enhance the hell out of it, it should be usable in combat:

Precognition (Directed +100%; Reduced Fatigue +2, +40%, Reduced Time +10, +200%; Reflexive +40%; Reliable +10, +50%) [133]

A successful IQ roll at a -2 penalty will let you claim a +4 bonus to anything where being able to see the future would help.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attacks, precognition