Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
mook

Default Customer Unable to Order In-Print "Horror" from FLGS?

Howdy Folks,

What with the pre-order numbers of "Mars Attacks" and "Discworld" such a frequent topic of conversation lately, this Reddit post seems worth noting. Basically, this gamer is trying to support her FLGS to get a hardcopy of "GURPS Horror," but the store's distributor claims they are unable to supply one (it is not listed as out of product on the item page).

Is this common? I'm legitimately curious because the usual refrain is "...so just have your local store order what you want from their distributor," but that doesn't seem to be working here (in this, admittedly, single case.)

If so, I'd say the long-beleaguered game stores have it even tougher than I thought. Not only are they competing "below" for every customer's dollar against behemoths like Amazon in an already extremely niche market, but they're also fighting battles "above" just to get product their customers want from the distributors!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Customer Unable to Order In-Print "Horror" from FLGS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Is this common? I'm legitimately curious because the usual refrain is "...so just have your local store order what you want from their distributor," but that doesn't seem to be working here (in this, admittedly, single case.)
A problem that goes back decades. Not a single person has found a way to solve the issue of "it's out of print" actually meaning "my distributor doesn't carry that."
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
A problem that goes back decades. Not a single person has found a way to solve the issue of "it's out of print" actually meaning "my distributor doesn't carry that."
Blech! Sorry to hear that, sounds infuriating.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
Snapshot

I just checked with my US book distributor and they have 27 copies of Horror in their warehouses. This title is definitely still available through bookstores, so pop into you local bookstore and ask them to place a special order for you. I know this isn't FLGS, but hopefully you'll be supporting another local small business :)
Snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
I just checked with my US book distributor and they have 27 copies of Horror in their warehouses. This title is definitely still available through bookstores, so pop into you local bookstore and ask them to place a special order for you. I know this isn't FLGS, but hopefully you'll be supporting another local small business :)
Thanks, Snapshot -- I suggested that to the gamer in need.