Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: West Point Cadet Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
If you want a sword for a modern military background, Cold Steel makes a U.S. Army officer's saber that's a real sword, not a ceremonial one. Well, "real" in that it used decent steel, has a sharpened edge, etc. It's be a sort of light saber. Well, not a Light Saber, but a saber that is not heavy.
That link has mutated away from the desired item or something and isn't even in English anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Of.../dp/B0030DBHD8

This link is to Amazon and may be more durable.

With a 32' blade and an unspecified weight it's probably the Fencing Saber in Gurps rather than the Cavalry Saber. These are sometimes differentiated as "light" cavalry sabers and "heavy" ones. Heavy cavalry sabers are some of the longest and heaviest one-handed swords seen historically so I think this is probably a "light" or Fencing Saber.

Note that the weapon of that name in the Fencing Group on Gurps weapon tables is a practical weapon and not a piece of sporting gear. What get's used in Saber Fencing Sport is quite different and not much like a real weapon at all.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That link has mutated away from the desired item or something and isn't even in English anymore.
I'm not sure what link you're following, but I still get a YouTube video in English that discusses a number of Cold Steel U.S. military ceremonial swords. Some of the type below it look like Hebrew or something, but the video is English. But if you don't like even that, here's another. Weight is 22oz.

Frankly, I like the 1860 cavalry saber (40oz) but there'd really be no reason a random ringknocker would have one. It's a decent balance of point and edge.

Last edited by acrosome; 07-23-2016 at 01:45 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
I'm not sure what link you're following, .
<shrug> It looks different now that I check it again. Somebody may have repaired it.

I prefer text and still picture sites anyway. Video clips are about he least efficient possible way to convey information.

The 1860 might be a reasonable choice in its' own right but its' substantially different from the West Point sword. Much longer and heavier.

Tags
army, sword