Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Dammann

Default Re: Evaluate maneuvers before combat

Perhaps a roll against acting?
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Edges

I think I once read Kromm say that combat maneuvers were obvious to observers. So, for example, if someone does an All-out-Attack, you know he won't have defenses next turn. And if someone is using Evaluate on you, know know that he probably intends on attacking you.

But I would (and have) let people attacking from stealth build up an Evaluate before attacking from the shadows.

I suppose I would let someone roll against Acting at a penalty to make Evaluate look like something else. But they would have to come up with some clever thing that the Evaluate was meant to look like. I seem to recall letting someone do something like this with Feign before.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post

I think I once read Kromm say that combat maneuvers were obvious to observers. So, for example, if someone does an All-out-Attack, you know he won't have defenses next turn. And if someone is using Evaluate on you, know know that he probably intends on attacking you.

But I would (and have) let people attacking from stealth build up an Evaluate before attacking from the shadows.
Both of the above reflect my views.

In general, combat maneuvers – being the sorts of quick expedients that fit into one-second combat turns – are obvious. Evaluate means you're staring down your subject like a hungry wolf, daring him to make the first move as you observe his stance and guard. It isn't subtle; it isn't meant to be subtle.

On the other hand, it's absolutely fair to let attacks from the shadows benefit from Evaluate. That said, since Evaluate and Telegraphic Attack bonuses don't stack, why would you ever do this? You could lurk for three seconds, possibly be detected in that time, and then strike at +3 for Evaluate on the fourth second . . . or you could strike at +4 for Telegraphic Attack, all in one second. If you've successfully used Stealth, then you'll be making a surprise attack against which the target will get no defense anyway, so the +2 to the victim's defense for Telegraphic Attack is totally irrelevant, whereas the extra +1 to hit and the time saved by not hanging around for an extra three seconds won't be.

Finally, remember the Dirty Fighting perk! You get +1 to any feint or attack made before combat begins, as a "sucker punch." The Action and Dungeon Fantasy series allow up to three levels of this. It amounts to being very good at evaluating a target out of combat, and then surprising him with a well-aimed attack. I also allow PCs who enter combat abruptly to claim this bonus on the turn they appear (e.g., a door opens and there's the PC, or the PC enters the battle from "off map" and announces his presence with a flying jump kick).
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Genesis

I'd allow the attack bonus, but not the other bonuses. For the disguised assassin it represents optimal positioning, waiting for the perfect moment to strike, and studying your opponent's posture to decide on the right angle of attack (i.e. he's leaning to the left - if I attack up-and-from-the-right I can slip my dagger in under his right armpit and he won't ever see me coming!). You're evaluating your target as a target, but not as an attacker - he's not attacking.

Edit: sniped by an official ruling from Kromm. Welp, neeeeever mind!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm answer