Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
Captain Joy

Default Re: Unarmed Combat Flowchart and Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Arm or Wrist Lock in Martial Arts p. 65 says you must have two hands free and make a barehanded parry.... Wrestling parry REQUIRES two hands, but Judo parry does not.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Afterwards, "you may attempt to capture your attacker's arm.." This to me sounds like you do target the arm, but as you say, hit location penalties are not explicit.

Your initial grapple, offensively, apparently need not target the arm either. this one's more explicit, although not SUPER-duper so. Grapple the other guy, then go for Arm Lock.

I think a fairly natural house rule would be that you do, in fact, have to apply the hit location penalty of -2 for targeting the arm with the initial Arm Lock roll.
Well, the Arm Lock roll (which only sets up the ability to cause injury on your next turn) is not dissimilar to Shift Grip.

Shift Grip [MA117] says: "The hit locations are irrelevant." and "you can grapple the torso and shift grip to avoid hit location penalties.", emphasis theirs. Based on this, I'm inclined to not apply hit location penalties to the Arm Lock roll.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 01-21-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Shift Grip [MA117] says: "The hit locations are irrelevant." and "you can grapple the torso and shift grip to avoid hit location penalties.", emphasis theirs. Based on this, I'm inclined to not apply hit location penalties to the Arm Lock roll.
Yeah, I can see it that way as well. I have some thoughts on mechanics to make Arm Lock a bit less dominating, but those will have to wait.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #13
Kelhanion

Quote:
Okay, here's my first pass and making a flowchart and combat cards optimized for unarmed combat.
Is this file still available somewhere? The link takes me to the main page. I found the incredibly useful Combat Maneuver Cheat Sheet by Onkl but it is missing the unarmed stuff (grapple, pin, slam etc.) and I would love to get my hands on this. My google-fu failed me on this one.

EDIT: I'm of course also interested in similar flowcharts that have possibly surfaced since this thread.

Last edited by Kelhanion; 04-29-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Kelhanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #14
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelhanion View Post
Is this file still available somewhere? The link takes me to the main page. I found the incredibly useful Combat Maneuver Cheat Sheet by Onkl but it is missing the unarmed stuff (grapple, pin, slam etc.) and I would love to get my hands on this. My google-fu failed me on this one.

EDIT: I'm of course also interested in similar flowcharts that have possibly surfaced since this thred.
Here is were a bunch of combat cheat sheets are currently located, including my unarmed combat stuff. Note my unarmed combat stuff is only based on the Basic Set and Martial Arts, not on Technical Grappling.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 04-29-2015 at 08:29 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #15
Kelhanion

Quote:
Here is were a bunch of combat cheat sheets are currently located, including my unarmed combat stuff. Note my unarmed combat stuff is only based on the Basic Set and Martial Arts, not on Technical Grappling.
Thank you! It looks nice, just what I was looking for.
Kelhanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:28 AM   #16
Onkl

Since a friend of mine just started a "Hooligans" campaign in which we almost exclusively fight bare handed I plan on making Combat Cards with the moves mentioned in the basic set. I intend to add the Martial Arts techniques later on.

Maybe these "Combat Cards" will help you. I made them to help new players lay out their move so they can calculate the damage they do. They contain only a few hit locations, deceptive attack, rapid strikes... and are incomplete.

Here is Captain Joy's original PDF. I hope it's ok to share it here? If not, just tell me, I'll remove it! And... I'll shamelessly exploit what you have already done Captain! Thanks a bunch for all the work you put into it!

Cheers!

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:52 AM   #17
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Here is Captain Joy's original PDF. I hope it's ok to share it here?
Hey, I share your combat cheat sheet on my website. So, yes, it's ok. Indeed, I'm flattered.

Tags
cheat cards, flowcart, game aids, unarmed combat