Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Spell Design?: Create Corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
You may want to reread the description of the zombie spell.
Basically the reason nothing happens if you cast zombie on a created corpse is because the created body does not have any "original" attributes, advantages or skills.

You can animate it using the Animate spell, but that isn't permanent.
I presume that the creation spell would generate/specify them. (As the Create Servant and Create Warrior do, for example.) Little point to designing a spell that creates a corpse with the intent to zombie it if the creating spell itself stops the zombie spell from working.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
It's not what you're asking, I'm merely putting it out as an option;

Purify Earth drags coffins and whatnot to the surface (things that can't just be magicked away so easily, I assume naked (w/out coffins) bodies count too). If she's just asking for easy corpses, she could always learn that and start slapping it down around graveyards, battlefields, ditches or football stadiums. Wherever you'd find a body, anyway.

It's not 'Instant', but it's not waiting for someone to die or murder either.
Sounds appropriate. I'll offer it as one of the suggestions. Thanks.

Quote:
With all respect, Henchmen prefer to avoid Necromancers as a rule. They're good people, it's not a prejudice thing...it's just that when they need a corpse, you feel a little too convenient.
There is also the little thing that her college (St Magdalene's, in the city of Abydos) provides all the living support that she requires. Throw a few loyal wraiths in the mix, and her adventuring companions, and it'll get interesting for the poor Henchmen in ways that will leave a mark if they do anything other than maybe raise their voices a bit.

She may also suffer a lapse of ethics -- still new to her -- and set their insides on fire. Literally. (Burning Death is such a fun spell.)
Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
I presume that the creation spell would generate/specify them. (As the Create Servant and Create Warrior do, for example.) Little point to designing a spell that creates a corpse with the intent to zombie it if the creating spell itself stops the zombie spell from working.
You do know Create Servant and Create Warrior are very temporary illusions of solid will, right? They only last 1 minute unless maintained.

Have you discussed the zombie usage with your GM?
I know I personally wouldn't allow it due to the thematic issue, but I would allow something like the Undead Flesh Golem I mentioned above.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
You do know Create Servant and Create Warrior are very temporary illusions of solid will, right? They only last 1 minute unless maintained.
Completely correct. And such a problem is why I'm not suggesting them to the player as a way to solve her character's newfound ethical issues.

I used them as an example of a spell that creates something humanoid with stats, even if only temporarily, in response to your suggestion that the Create Corpse spell wouldn't be able to create a zombie'able corpse because the corpse wouldn't have stats.

Quote:
Have you discussed the zombie usage with your GM?
I know I personally wouldn't allow it due to the thematic issue, but I would allow something like the Undead Flesh Golem I mentioned above.
Heh. I am the GM. I find the idea interesting and thematic, for a necromancer to be able to assemble bodies for their arts without resorting to various illegalities and assorted actions of questionable ethics.

On the other hand, I find I lack the necessary command of the spell system to generate a spell that the player requested. Thereby, I asked the forums for examples and ideas on how to do so.

I will include the idea of making a golem out of parts as you've suggested, but without a method to generate said parts outside of age or murder (or slaughtering animals which the character has much less issues with) ... I'm unsure of her willingness to accept the idea.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #15
Captain-Captain

Quote:
So. I have a necromancer character who wants to create her own corpses (for eventual animation), rather than needing to wait until people die or just killing them. The character has developed a sense of ethics ... falling in love does terrible terrible things. :)

However, while I can easily design the ability as a Power, I'm hitting blanks with spell design. Figuring that y'all are inventive people, asking for help with the problem can't hurt.

Parameter Requirements: Permanent Duration. (We've looked at the Creation spells and those aren't viable because of the maintenance requirements.) Shouldn't take more energy than creating a tree (Create Plant, for 15 energy) (trees are way bigger than a human corpse, though they are also more complex). A set of prerequisites that make sense; additional custom spells as requirements allowed.

Or, if its' been published before, feel free to point me to the right place. I have access to most of the 3rd and 4th editions if necessary. :)

Can't find it now, but I swear I read an option in GURPS Undead that let you use Zombie or the spells for making more potent Corporeal Undead using thingst hat resembled dead bodies, ie manniqueines or statues.

In any event, making a variant of those spells that will turn that bronze of General Lee into a Zombie Confederate General shouldn't be any difficulty to the GM to make (I'd put an inherent -5 penalty to casting the spell on a body that never experienced death - no penalty to animate fossils IF fossils are considered destroyed (the original material has been utterly replaced with minerals).
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #16
lexington

Quote:
You are aware that a created body can't be animated with zombie, right?
I figure that if she making a new spell the metaphysical assumptions of this setting are different than GURPS: Magic already. It doesn't seem too terribly unbalancing either, powerful (or just motivated) necromancers are going to have a big supply of corpses anyway.

The easiest method is just buying a graveyard, of course, but I think this is supposed to be useful during an adventure.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Heh. I am the GM. I find the idea interesting and thematic, for a necromancer to be able to assemble bodies for their arts without resorting to various illegalities and assorted actions of questionable ethics.
Ah, since you're the GM the options open up, how about summoning a corpse?

Summon Corpse
Special

Summons a corpse from another plane of existence. The GM determines the attributes and abilities the corpse had when it was alive.
Duration: Permanent until banished.
Cost: 10 for a SM 0 corpse, +10xSM for +SM. Minimum 10.
Time to cast: 5 minutes
Prerequisite: Planar Summons or Summon Demon
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #18
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
I figure that if she making a new spell the metaphysical assumptions of this setting are different than GURPS: Magic already.
GURPS Magic includes guidelines for inventing new spells on pages 14 and 15. To my understanding, making new spells is part of the book-standard system. Am I wrong?

Campaign is set within the Banestorm (/Yrth) setting. :)

Quote:
It doesn't seem too terribly unbalancing either, powerful (or just motivated) necromancers are going to have a big supply of corpses anyway.
Mechanically, Create Corpse plus the Zombie spell combo should be no more unbalancing than Create Earth and the Golem spell combo.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #19
PK

I could see this bringing some serious metaphysical issues into the game. For example, what happens if you create a corpse, then Resurrect it? Creating a dead person is still creating a person, and once you start messing around with giving PCs the ability to create life (even "dead life," if that makes any sense), it opens up several cans of worms.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:18 AM   #20
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
I could see this bringing some serious metaphysical issues into the game. For example, what happens if you create a corpse, then Resurrect it? Creating a dead person is still creating a person, and once you start messing around with giving PCs the ability to create life (even "dead life," if that makes any sense), it opens up several cans of worms.
I'd rule Ressurction wouldn't work. No former life, no former life force to bring back to the body. A crit failure could install a demon into it however.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4th edition, create corpse, spell design