Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #21
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Flavor Thread

Janus's angels have a reputation for slam-bang chaotic change that, admittedly, is quite deserved. But the Archangel of the Wind is capable of subtlety at times. And thus, a carefully picked corps of Wind angels, known informally as the "Horseshoe Nails," travels the world making carefully timed minor changes that are meant to grow into something big. To use an example from another thread, it may have been a Nail who smuggled a few boll weevils into the American South ... which broke the financial and political power of many of the "cotton kings" ... which in turn helped lay the groundwork for the civil rights revolution down the road.

Nails tend to have good friendships (and frequent partnerships) with Destiny angels, who also understand that big changes can begin with small touches. Other Windies, more impatient for results, find them a little odd ... but effective.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #22
JCD

"The Bagman"

Essentially any semi organized group of Celestials in a location will have some issues with dead vessels. One person will likely be designated as 'bagman' where they are responsible for gathering the personal effects, the body etc.

Most likely, this only entails a body with an i.d. So Stephanie, who has a spare Roleless vessel might be listed as next of kin under a half dozen names, with appropriate i.d.

Demons are more fragmented, but also have more powers to destroy and subvert the evidence.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #23
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
"The Bagman"

Essentially any semi organized group of Celestials in a location will have some issues with dead vessels. One person will likely be designated as 'bagman' where they are responsible for gathering the personal effects, the body etc.

Most likely, this only entails a body with an i.d. So Stephanie, who has a spare Roleless vessel might be listed as next of kin under a half dozen names, with appropriate i.d.

Demons are more fragmented, but also have more powers to destroy and subvert the evidence.
Of course, angels of Creation are also useful for disposing of inconvenient bodies, with the right Attunements. One of our own PCs specializes in turning vessel corpses into soap bubbles, or wildflowers, or (in one memorable encounter), pigeon excrement splattered across a car.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #24
Rocket Man

While Soldiers of Heaven can be inducted with a promise and a handshake if need be, some angels prefer a little more ceremony. One popular option among some of the older Servitors is a semi-Masonic ritual, begun only after weeks of preparing a candidate and becoming sure of their commitment.

The Soldier in question first removes all jewelry and other items of value, symbolizing a willingness to surrender all in Heaven's service. He or she is then blindfolded and led to the site of the ceremony, representing a trust in Heaven's guidance. A Tether is commonly chosen as the site, but it's not mandatory ... inductions have been performed in after-hours church sanctuaries, conference rooms, and even penthouse apartments.

At least two witnesses must be present to speak for the Soldier, both in greeting the ritual "Guard at the Gate" and to ceremonially vouch for their character before the presiding angel. The rest is much like a wedding or a christening -- the presiding angel asks a series of questions meant to confirm the Soldier's commitment, the Soldier answers, and the witnesses affirm.

It is only when the last oath has been sworn and the last promise witnessed that the Soldier-to-be is Symphonically awakened. The blindfold is then removed with a final benediction (often with a reference to kindling light; for a Christian Soldier, Genesis 1:3, John 1:5, and Mark 8:25 are all traditional favorites) and the celebration can begin.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
Jason

I enjoy thinking that Mariel still has some supporters left who think of her as something like an Infernal Christ figure. In canon In Nomine, she's mostly just a footnote in the history of Haagenti's meteoric rise to power, but there's room for some to see some meaning in her destruction, or perhaps even hope for her return, much as some demons of Secrets hope for Gebbeleth's return. Gebbeleth disappeared more mysteriously, of course, while Mariel was quite publicly devoured. Then again, with a Word like Oblivion, some may have seen room for doubt.

In Hell, then, some claim that the Princess of Oblivion ceased to exist the moment she was swallowed by Haagenti — an event known ironically as "the Last Supper," and somewhat more seriously as "the Immaculate Consumption," a perfect act of "insubstantiation." In that moment, Mariel realized the perfection of her own Word, and became one with nothingness. They prophecy that she will return one day to offer the gift of nothingness to the world.

This idea may border on "adventure seed" rather than "flavor thread" material, but one way to look at it is just as one way that hope may still bloom among the damned souls of Hell.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #26
JCD

Interesting Jason

Rocket:

If this weren't a public forum, I'd tell you about a demonic ritual for inducting a Soldier. Suffice to say, they like their pomp and circumstance too...

Sometimes the Guildhall has Superior specific nicknames for demons accepted into Lilith's service. For example, in the old days, Samingans were all called 'Mort' irrespective of their actual names though the younger generation call them 'Jerry' (Jerry Garcia for the slow)*

Belialites Wyldfires

Baalites Martinettes or Rambos

Andrealphus: (Censored)

Valefor: Ravens or Jackdaws

Vapula: Frankie

Beleth: Recently Goths

* They still get little acceptance with the rank and file of the Free, so much so that they've formed their own clique within the hall.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #27
Matthias Wasser

Lilith is human, but not female: Adam Kadmon was the first human soul, created from Clay; this the angels split into Adam and Lilith (who bolted, achieving the first Fate.) As Adam couldn't reproduce on its own they split it into Adam and Hava, and the rest is history. Alchemical manuals have been obsessed with the idea of the "mystic hermaphrodite" because that's what Adamic humans are supposed to be; such a being could be Wordbound and have natural 15-Force children with Lilith. Lilim horns are a natural feature of the supersex.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:31 AM   #28
Orlin

I have a Malakhite who puts Tabasco sauce on everything.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #29
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlin View Post

Just thought I'd share.
"It makes the cupcakes piquant."
Old 03-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #30
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlin View Post

Just thought I'd share.
And a Seraph with a hideous allergy to MSG.

And Janus loves to surf, especially in the monster waves kicked up by major offshore storms. Not only is it unfettered motion caused by winds, but it allows him to commune with what remains of his beloved Oannes, or is it to revel over the victory over Vephar, or to meditate on the whole of it? Riding the waves, waiting for the next one to come, gives even Wind plenty of time to think.

When he doesn't want to think so much, there are always the rivers to be plied with his trusty kayak, the skies with a hang glider, or his 'junk food' rollercoasters.

While I'm thinking on Janus--does anyone else find the Core picture a little off, for a Wheel?

Tags
tips