Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2005, 10:32 AM   #41
Xipe_Totec

Default Re: How balanced is GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab
Of course, this really doesn't apply to groups that don't run combat on a map (and yes, we are out there).

Brandon
speaking of that, how to make new players and players intent on "rules-free" (do note the quotation marks) on using the hex grid?
I come from a Panzer General mindset, and it's not difficult for me to imagine a hex field, and to work it seamlessly in my vision of the game.... but how to do it for newcomers to the system, and for the people who argue loudly even over things like rolling for Fast-talk (and consequently hardly ever invest points in such social skills), and almost get into spasms when confronted with hex grids.....

one idea that I do have, is printing a shitload of hex paper, or using an A3 or even A2 format of paper, and then simply drawing all the maps on that, thus basically forcing people to use the hexes.....

second thing, about combat and points and all..... can someone offer an estimate of what percentage of points go to combats skills of "moderately competent" fighters (e.g. foot soldiers), and high and low (elite-king's guard and peasants, consequently) competence fighters?
I know that all it takes is just three or four numbers to set everything straight, but I would like to see a comparison of 50 point career guard, 50 point peasant/conscript and 50 point grinding machine, since I haven't seen a like comparison anywhere, and I doubt my estiments.....
Xipe_Totec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #42
nanoboy

Players arguing about fast-talk... Well, they need to take those skills. Just because your players can lie and BS well does not mean that their characters can. Oh well.

I never really use the hex grid. I stick to a vector-based method, which I find suitable and flexible. In fact, I think that gridless systems are probably the future of strategy/RPG maps, but I'm just guessing. (For a good use of a simple, gridless system, check out the collectible... well, not cards exactly... game "Pirates of the Spanish Main.)
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:52 AM   #43
Xipe_Totec

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoboy
Players arguing about fast-talk... Well, they need to take those skills. Just because your players can lie and BS well does not mean that their characters can. Oh well.
well, yeah!
I mean, that's why the system has Common Sense advantage..... we had a player that actually would charge in on the enemies with his mage (in AD&D)
character..... a prime example of a player that should mandatory use Common Sense advantage :)
Xipe_Totec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #44
Ulysses

Can I ask a question?

I've read the threat, but I haven't found an answer yet. My question is about average skills.

For example, I have a swordsman and longbowman NPCs. They are average medieval soldiers. Which primary skill stats will they have? Bow-12, 13, 14 and Shortsword-12,13, 14? Or higher/lower? And what about secondary skills? Which shortsword stat will longsbowman have? 10, 11, 12?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
Can I ask a question?

I've read the threat, but I haven't found an answer yet. My question is about average skills.

For example, I have a swordsman and longbowman NPCs. They are average medieval soldiers. Which primary skill stats will they have? Bow-12, 13, 14 and Shortsword-12,13, 14? Or higher/lower? And what about secondary skills? Which shortsword stat will longsbowman have? 10, 11, 12?
See the box on p B172. GURPS Tactical Shooting p. 42 has some more specific guidelines for Guns skill that might be applicable to other ccombat skills by analogy.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #46
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundt View Post
Everyone's answer is about what I expected. Like I said, I pretty much have ingored things like "Challenge Rating" in the past because of how variable things can be. It sounds like a simple 'rule', or even general guideline, doesn't exist in GURPS either.

I thought I would just ask because I was designing a monster and it was coming in points-wise at twice what I am giving my characters. It was meant to be a tough monster, but the point differencial was surprising.
I put a bunch of the DF2 & DFM1 monsters into GCS templates. The low scores belonged to the Corpse Golem at [-47] and Erupting Slime at [-27], the highs were the Peshkali at [740] and Mindwarper at [689], and the average was around [200].

Take it for what it's worth...
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #47
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Take it for what it's worth...
Given that he hasn't been on the forums for nine and a half years, I doubt he's going to take it for anything.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #48
Balor Patch

Necromancers are evil.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #49
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Necromancers are evil.
Yeah but how many can you set on you PC at a time?

FWIW, I tend to scale threats according to player experience first and PC 'level' second. For me GURPS has too many variables for me to do otherwise.

Similarly with inexperienced players I tend to introduce combat options slowly and I tend to find having it done to them is good way of getting them to want to learn it and do it make.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #50
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Not necessarily, maybe hes a benevolent necromancer that only summons spirits and has a chat with them, maybe he allows people to have one last chat with their dead ones and charges for it and lives a happy good life.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice, kromm answer