Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
gusty737

Default Marches Vacation Domain

So i'm trying to create a ethereral domain called shepherdstown where angels and demons can take time off from the war and go on vacation. i also wanted to have the key premise be the struggle against a pagan god of fear and struggle that has mastered both ethereal threads. could you give some suggestions on how to get the two forces to work together in the domain and give a suitable stronghold to the pagan god? the setting is bright, low contrast.

Last edited by gusty737; 11-08-2014 at 06:53 PM.
gusty737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: Marches Vacation Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusty737 View Post
So i'm trying to create a ethereral domain called shepherdstown where angels and demons can take time off from the war and go on vacation. i also wanted to have the key premise be the struggle against a pagan god of fear and struggle that has mastered both ethereal threads. could you give some suggestions on how to get the two forces to work together in the domain and give a suitable stronghold tothe pagan god? the setting is bright, low contrast.
I love the idea, and I'll think on it. Offhand, the pastoral image suggests the Romantics of the Byron and Shelley generation, and they tended to be atheists, or at least unreligious. That would make them a nice neutral.

--nonbumpiness-- Now that I'm caffeinated and fed I see you're looking for a pagan god of fear and struggle--and the poems I've been looking at are all about peace and humanism. The Shelleys, having lived in the age of Napoleon, likely wrote a bit about that, but this tiny poem goes back to my original misconception:

O thou immortal deity
Whose throne is in the depth of human thought,
I do adjure thy power and thee
By all that man may be, by all that he is not,
By all that he has been and yet must be!
---Percy Bysshe Shelley

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 11-08-2014 at 10:53 PM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Jason

"Timor" is the name of a (real-world) tropical island. A domain in the Marches was formed by a general, hazy understanding of "tropical islands" being nice places for vacations, but domains like ethereal Hawaii get many more visitors. This makes it a nice out-of-the-way vacation spot for celestials.

"Timor" is also the name of the Roman god of Fear. Like most of the Roman pantheon, he was subsumed by his Greek counterpart, Phobos, who has been riding high on all the new phobias coined in his name in the last several decades.

Real-world Timor (the island) has been fraught with political and religious struggle at various times in history. Either the campaign exists at one of those times, or contrive a plausible reason for there to be a new war there today—the kind that makes worldwide news.

Phobos still has some of Timor in him, and so he figures he can capitalize on this by asserting his right over that name. He gets a hold not only on the strand of Fear, but also a light grip on Struggle. He could really strengthen that grip if he were to conquer the domain that is his namesake—and use that, perhaps, as a beachhead in conquering the real-world location...
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
gusty737

So i'm trying to create a 4 person "superhero" team for the "city" that consists of a spirit of ice cream (or another kind of sweets), a spirit of festivals, a word-bound angel of children working as an youth group leader, and a "symphonic" performer working for Vapula against his will. could you give some suggestions for example threads, roles, and other minor details to start building the characters?

Last edited by gusty737; 11-10-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
gusty737

Quote:
So i'm trying to create a 4 person "superhero" team for the "city" that consists of a spirit of ice cream (or another kind of sweets), a spirit of festivals, a word-bound angel of children working as an youth group leader, and a "symphonic" performer working for Vapula against his will. could you give some suggestions for example threads, roles, and other minor details to start building the characters?
I'm also looking for some disney or miyazaki flavored characters to throw into the setting because i love working classic animated storytelling into my other games.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
I'm also looking for some disney or miyazaki flavored characters to throw into the setting because i love working classic animated storytelling into my other games.
If you can find a copy (it's out of print and the translation company is out of business), take a look at Kamichu! It has quite a few different kami, including the kami of inner-tubes used as swim-rings, the kami of kickboards, and other kami of an old seaside beach house.

The kami say there are as many kami as there are concepts in the universe. Certainly that's how ethereals come into existence in IN. Take a concept that relates to vacations and give it a "patron" ethereal ...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
gusty737

i'd like some input on these means of entering the domain. these are the main 3 i was thinking of and i would like some input on other possible "routes" to the city.
1. Any railroad engine with sleeping cars with eventually form a tether during the "darkest hours of the night" (between 1:00 and 5:00 am) if the passenger can grab hold of it while on board the train.
2. Shepherdstown will let "vistors" to the marches enter if they agree to remain in the city for at least 3 days.
3. Shepherdstown has its own "special" radio station. A person with knowledge of the symphony can use a special pair of ethereal-linked headphones to "listen in" for shepherdstown's symphonic frequency and locate a local tether to the city.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:38 AM   #8
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
i'd like some input on these means of entering the domain. these are the main 3 i was thinking of and i would like some input on other possible "routes" to the city.
1. Any railroad engine with sleeping cars with eventually form a tether during the "darkest hours of the night" (between 1:00 and 5:00 am) if the passenger can grab hold of it while on board the train.
2. Shepherdstown will let "vistors" to the marches enter if they agree to remain in the city for at least 3 days.
3. Shepherdstown has its own "special" radio station. A person with knowledge of the symphony can use a special pair of ethereal-linked headphones to "listen in" for shepherdstown's symphonic frequency and locate a local tether to the city.
The folks you're trying to get in are into sweets, festivals, children, and music production. Maybe there's a lullaby they could perform--or play over speakers while they nap--that would get them to the right place in the Marches. Maybe there's a napping spot near the petting zoo where that song happens to be piped in.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
gusty737

I need some advice on a few changes i'm making to the default superior roster for the setting.

1. Belial, Andrealphus, & Baal are back in heaven's service, while the new demons of wildfire, mania, and extremism (not the muslim extremism that khalid was originally meant to represent) have replaced their positions in hell.
2. I'd like help adding superiors of Charitable Donations, Communities, and Event Organisation to the mix.
3. i could also use some help in deciding if i should use Bethanel, Archangel of Cities in place of a homebrew community superior.
p.s. i don't have the superior book #4 but i have the gamemaster's guide and all the other superior books available.

Last edited by gusty737; 11-16-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
gusty737

So i have some ideas for the basic rites of the Demon Prince of Extremism but i need help with rest of the write-up.
*Leave behind an obvious symbolic representation of your Extremist Views (i.e Burning Cross, a hastily scratched extremist message on an appropriate surface, etc.)
*Convince at least 25 people of the rightness of your cause.
*Involve at least one truly innocent being (a.k.a."woman & children") in either of the previous rites. (+2 essence)

Tags
marches, tips