Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #1
Otaku

Default [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#49): Enhanced Tracking

Previous Thread: Enhanced Move
Next Thread: Extended Lifespan, Longevity, Unaging

If you're new to this series or just want to leave feedback about it, check out the Introduction Thread. If you need help finding something we've already discussed, johndallman is maintaining an index of which traits we've discussed.

Basic

Enhanced Tracking (p. B53) is a Physical, Exotic Advantage priced at 5 CP/level. Enhanced Tracking has little to do with the Tracking Skill (p. B226), but is about how many targets upon which the character may focus his, her, its, or their eyes; barring other traits that would affect this, the default is that said character may only focus upon (track) one target, such as for the purposes of the Aim or Evaluate (both p. B364) maneuvers. Each level of Enhanced Tracking increases the maximum amount of trackable targets by one, with the caveats that you still cannot Aim at more targets than you have ready weapons capable of hitting said targets, nor can you track something you are unable to detect. Some real-world creatures and/or machines can have this trait.

Other Supplements
  • GURPS Powers clarifies some of the specifics of using Enhanced Tracking. This includes giving you examples of when Enhanced Tracking should be taken instead of or with another Advantage (depending upon what is desired for the character), a custom Enhancement (Multiple Lock-Ons, p. P49), Powers that include it, and a sample ability built using it in conjunction with other Advantages and Modifiers (Tactical Radar, p. P150).
  • GURPS Supers includes Enhanced Tracking as part of one of the new Powers and is used by one of the new templates.
  • GURPS Update lets us know that Enhanced Tracking corresponds to the Third Edition trait known as "Independently Focusable Eyes". Which brings us too...

Past Editions
Under the Third Edition rules, to track more than one target required taking "Independently Focusable Eyes". I'll be referencing its entry in Compendium I, on page 58, as part of the section covering Racial And Super Advantages. The first, obvious difference after the name is that Independently Focusable Eyes costs 15 CP and is not a leveled trait. You may take it multiple times, but you can't take more instances of it than (character's number of eyes less one); a character with two eyes may buy it once, a character with three eyes may take it twice, etc. and each time it will cost 15 CP.

Useful Links

As always, feel free to suggest additions to this section... especially as everything I found seemed really, really niche and well outside the realm of [Basic].

Discussion Starters

This is (usually) a generic list of questions for those who want to participate in the discussion but need a little help. If you already know what you want to say, feel free to skip these. ;)
  • Have you ever taken this trait for one of your PCs or NPCs? How did it work out?
  • Is there anything this trait does really well?
  • Is there anything you think this trait could or should do differently?
  • Any related traits you believe are necessary for full discussion? Go ahead and bring them up, but remember that this is a thread for Elastic Skin.
  • Any thoughts on how the 4e version of these traits compares to them in earlier editions?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 01-27-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#49): Enhanced Tracking

I have picked this up a few times, especially with the Multiple Lock-On enhancement from GURPS Gun Fu.
Its great for a Gun Slinger or fighter pilot and I also use it for watching multiple computer screens.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
Nic

[Never got to pick it, but wonder if puting Independent it wold be a lock on the target or area and so even if you lose the focus the target wold keep being tracked.
Like some of those lock on cameras in fighters or bombers.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #4
tbone

Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups has Enhanced Tracking (Multiple Lock-Ons, +20%) [6/level] as a power-up for scouts. This gets renamed "Multi-Aim" in DFRPG.

(DFRPG doesn't offer the Evaluate maneuver, so Multi-Aim gets shortchanged a bit. It does feel pricey to me. Edit: The write-up does note that Multi-Aim also aids in setting up Opportunity Fire against multiple locations. So maybe that compensates for the loss of the Evaluate benefit, unless GURPS allows this Opportunity Fire benefit as well.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)

Last edited by tbone; 12-05-2021 at 09:45 PM.
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I never see this used... possibly because it takes quite an investment to shoot at two different targets, and that investment often comes with side effects that discourage aiming.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:17 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I never see this used... possibly because it takes quite an investment to shoot at two different targets, and that investment often comes with side effects that discourage aiming.
I have used it twice now. Both times with a pistol and Gunslinger.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, enhanced tracking, week, [basic]