Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #11
Disliker of the mary sue

Default Re: what if another role playing game had DnDs cultural Impact?

I just kind of wonder since things tend to follow the leader that the world be different if like Vampire the masquerade or Fate somehow became the first big rpg. (let say for sake of argument if these books would even exist without dnd a guy brought a book back in time to the before dnd days and mass produced that book.) If roleplaying at the start was seen more as a story telling activity then like a thing spun off a war game.

Though as one guy I discussed this before int he past said, the 80's vampire the masquerade cartoon would be weird.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
Though as one guy I discussed this before int he past said, the 80's vampire the masquerade cartoon would be weird.
The D&D cartoon was pretty weird.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #13
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The D&D cartoon was pretty weird.
and then you have to wonder what the gurps 80's cartoon would look like in the universe it became the alpha rpg...
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #14
robertsconley

I wrote this alternate history where Traveller was the first roleplaying game in the 1940s.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=33581
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #15
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
I just kind of wonder since things tend to follow the leader that the world be different if like Vampire the masquerade or Fate somehow became the first big rpg.
You will have to figure out the point of departure and go from there.

For example in an alt-history D&D is still born because the disdain against fantasy among miniature wargamers grows strong enough to abort Dave Arneson's interest in running a medieval fantasy campaign called Blackmoor. Instead he decides to run a Braustein based on his love of the Hammer horror films. He runs several of these where the some players play the monsters and other play Van Helsing types and other kinds of investigators.

Eventually he recycles the Blackmoor name however now it is a lonely castle on the English Moor the home of Sir Fant a vampire who was once the lieutenant of Dracula himself. In the depths of the castle is are the Demon Frog God cultist that serve Sir Fant as his minion in exchange for protection and permission to conduct their unholy rites.

Sir Fant tentacles stretches across Edwardian Great Britain leaving the players to fight the conspiracy in a grand campaign against evil. This inspires others and eventually leads to a series of games that now considered the first tabletop roleplaying games.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #16
Johan Larson

Right now table-top role playing is a small niche hobby. It was a pretty big thing back in the 80s with D&D, but it has shrunk dramatically since then. It also had some lasting cultural influence through its effect on computer RPGs; WoW owes D&D a hefty debt.

It's worth asking whether things had to go this way. Could role-playing be a large and respectable pastime today, if publishers and players had done things a bit differently?

I'm guessing the answer is yes. D&D, in particular, had some occult and diabolical elements that drew a lot of criticism. I don't want to say that the criticism was fair and reasonable (it wasn't) but it got enough traction to make the hobby appear less like harmless fun suitable for everyone and more like weird stuff for creeps and nerds.

And I think this could have been avoided. If the earliest RPGs had focused on something less likely to draw criticism, such as playing cops or even soldiers, I suspect the hobby would be viewed in a more positive light, and would be doing better now.
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #17
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Larson View Post
And I think this could have been avoided. If the earliest RPGs had focused on something less likely to draw criticism, such as playing cops or even soldiers, I suspect the hobby would be viewed in a more positive light, and would be doing better now.
I doubt that that would have happened.

This was the first era when fantasy took off in a big way, becoming established as a recognized genre (this was before its later fusion with science fiction). The biggest single influence on this was The Lord of the Rings (and early printings of D&D had such obvious borrowings as hobbits, ents, and balrogs, later renamed to halflings, treants, and whatever balrogs got changed to); but Gygax et al. had also read Howard, Lovecraft, Anderson, Vance, Leiber, Moorcock, and others from whom they borrowed freely to produce a fantasy buffet from which you could put anything you liked on your plate. That big wave of new fantasy readers were the people who jumped onto D&D in a big way. And that carried along with it such traits as social awkwardness, fascination with myth and legend, and a touch of "freaking the straights." It was kind of an introvert's version of the occult imagery that attracted many extraverts to metal, and in fact there was some modest overlap.

There really was not, back then, a big crowd of fans of soldiers or police or spies who were eagerly waiting for a hobby of sitting in a room telling stories to each other. There were conventional wargamers, some of whom seriously resented the invasion of their hobby by D&D, and some of whom had played games with freeform storytelling aspects. But they weren't a big group and they didn't have growth potential. It was the fantasy fans who provided that.

The other thing I've seen since then that was sort of similar was the vampire fan craze that inspired White Wolf. Again, you had a key author, Anne Rice, and a game that borrowed from her but stirred in other stuff. So I think you'd want to look for other authors of the past seventy-five years who had big, enthusiastic, but slightly cult followings. I don't think you can discount the power of "we're onto something special" in terms of marketing/recruitment.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #18
dcarson

So a action movie/James Bond game might have been a possibility as the first RPG.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #19
Randyman

Traveller tried to transition from "pulp sci-fi" to "Star Wars-ish", but didn't quite hit the mark.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #20
Lord Azagthoth

Warhammer from Games Workshop.

It has several settings, movies and computer games based on the system. Although it's origin comes from tabletop battles, not role-play.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate universe, rpg, what if?