Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #221
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Flavor Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
So, be my muse for me a little while. How would you describe your average Soldier of Judgment?
A modern crusader, sure that his judgment is right... because he's got a direct line to Judgment.

Or a diplomat/peacemaker, never passing judgment himself... because Judgment is reserved for Above.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #222
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
So, be my muse for me a little while. How would you describe your average Soldier of Judgment?
I suspect many of them are people who became obsessive about an issue of justice or judgement that got resolved, reasonably fairly, through their efforts. Those seem like the best people to recruit: ones who have shown dedication, and are no longer preoccupied.

Last edited by johndallman; 03-06-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Explain better
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #223
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
I just finished interviewing somebody who's a likely Judgment Soldier -- a former Colorado Bureau of Investigation agent whose brother was murdered in 1983; the case is still open. He recently became the head of a group that helps the families of homicide victims and missing persons and is also the founder of a maritime law enforcement academy. That's in addition to going to Iraq to help train police.

He's a personable man, but extremely focused; if there's an aspect of his life that isn't given over to justice in some way, I'm not sure what it is.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #224
Matthias Wasser

Quote:
Innocuous. Around other angels.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #225
ladyarcana55

I just fund out it's the anniversary of HP Lovecraft's death. He died March 15 1937.

Do you think there is an area of the Marches pretty much left to the Cthulhu Ethereals, where none of the others really go?
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #226
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
I just fund out it's the anniversary of HP Lovecraft's death. He died March 15 1937.

Do you think there is an area of the Marches pretty much left to the Cthulhu Ethereals, where none of the others really go?
Lovecraft's version of the Dreamlands doesn't really mesh well with The Vale between Blandine and Beleth's towers, so that would be a Domain in itself. Then there's R'yleh, the Mountains of Madness, Yuggoth, ... I do think there's more than one area of the Marches set aside for the Mythos.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #227
Jason

I imagine the Elder Gods inhabit domains in the Far, Far Marches.

Also: I ran a one-shot for some new players (familiar with Lovecraft) that involved protecting a hit author who basically reimagined Lovecraft for the Twilight era. Her "Nameless Horror" series got so popular that the eponymous un-character got huge swallowing up all those cute plush Cthulhus scampering about the Marches, then moved onto the tentacled monsters of Hellboy comics, and so on, until it finally tried to break through to our world and slay its own author, just as it does in the books. (The PCs saved her by slaying its vessel and buying her time to refocus her career on yet another police procedural TV show with sexual tension between the male and female leads.)
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #228
Omegonthesane

At one point in our long-ago demonic campaign, a Kyriotate we were chasing through the Marches made some form of deal allowing her to hide behind Cthulhu - a strong, but not immensely so, ethereal god and a rather erratic Knight of Beleth.

The GM later told me that his take was based on the idea that Cthulhu was first formed from the nightmares of aquatic creatures rather than those of humanity, but then he tends to downplay the theme of human buggeration of celestial scheming compared to canon.

EDIT: Though it did take a few years in Lovecraft's dreamscape to create the popularly known ethereal, thus mixing in a lot of human belief. Well, we say belief.

Last edited by Omegonthesane; 03-30-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:38 AM   #229
Omegonthesane

Necroing because new flavour came up in latest Diabolical campaign.

Balseraphs of Fate have a tendency towards odd celestial forms, which reflect some facet of their other resonance. A Balseraph-Kyriotate might have multiple heads for example, while many a Balseraph-Mercurian - Hatiphas included - risks being mistaken for an Impudite if you miss the scales and the many eyes.

Due to the existence of the Invention attunement, it is not considered odd for Vapula Tethers - and odd kiosks in the visitor's areas of Tartarus - to run a "song rental" business. This is operated by a being who has Invention and an unreasonably large array of Songs, usually in exchange for Essence or large amounts of corporeal currency. How many questions are asked varies from store to store.

When Laurence needs an urgent response and knows he's going in blind, the Order of the Giant's Head are the minions of choice. The order are infamous for sheer power, disturbingly wide array of skills, and a tendency to leave smoking craters. It is not often mentioned that their founding members were Grigori-turned-Malakim under Uriel, and that their original purpose - indeed, their primary purpose to this day in the event of a conflict - was to hunt down and kill particularly dangerous Nephallim, to purge the shame of the founders' original Choir.
(Since my group tends to use Nephallim as an excuse to add weird and wonderful mechanics loosely based on their ancestry, the Giant's Head would logically need to be as ready as possible for anything that exists and anything that doesn't exist.)
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tips