Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
naraht

Default Hearts- Heaven vs. Hell.

In the description of Demon Hearts, it indicates that they are made for the few who actually Get Corporeal Assignments.

Couple of questions.
1) Does the same limit apply to angels?
2) Does holding another Demon's heart cause soul hits (only damage that really makes sense in the Celestial Plane)? And does that mean you could kill a Demon by dropping a large number of other Demon's Hearts on them?
3) Is having a heart a useful/needed thing for a celestial if they are doing Ethereal Plane work?
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Hearts- Heaven vs. Hell.

1) I suspect it might, depending on how much effort it takes for a Superior to make a Heart.

2) Not in canon, if I recall correctly (and I haven't slipped into one of Archangel Beth's parallel realities). Again if I recall correctly, holding a Heart gives you a mental image of the Celestial for whom it was made - it doesn't put you in touch with that Celestial. (If it did, then bringing Celestials out of Trauma would be much easier...)

3) A Heart is always useful - it's the only thing that keeps a Celestial from going to Limbo if he's sent into Trauma for whatever reason.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
naraht

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
1) I suspect it might, depending on how much effort it takes for a Superior to make a Heart.

2) Not in canon, if I recall correctly (and I haven't slipped into one of Archangel Beth's parallel realities). Again if I recall correctly, holding a Heart gives you a mental image of the Celestial for whom it was made - it doesn't put you in touch with that Celestial. (If it did, then bringing Celestials out of Trauma would be much easier...)

3) A Heart is always useful - it's the only thing that keeps a Celestial from going to Limbo if he's sent into Trauma for whatever reason.
2) The writeup on hearts in Hell in the Basic book talks about if you grab another demon's heart it will be too hot to hold. Grabbing another Angel's heart on the other hand is just fine..

3) Can you be sent to Trauma from Combat in the Ethereal Plane?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
That depends on what sort of combat you get into. There's always somebody out there who thinks he's badass enough to challenge a Celestial to Celestial Combat, no matter which plane they're on... and occasionally he's right.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
JCD

Quote:
2) The writeup on hearts in Hell in the Basic book talks about if you grab another demon's heart it will be too hot to hold. Grabbing another Angel's heart on the other hand is just fine..
Also in the write up of Hell, they mention that being dunked into a Lake of Fire for 24 hours would be excrutiating...but only cause a single soul hit.

Pain is not damage. You could probably TORTURE a Celestial with a Heart.

Is it canon that TOUCHING a Heart lets the owner know it's touched?

Does the connection work the other way?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
naraht

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Also in the write up of Hell, they mention that being dunked into a Lake of Fire for 24 hours would be excrutiating...but only cause a single soul hit.

Pain is not damage. You could probably TORTURE a Celestial with a Heart.

Is it canon that TOUCHING a Heart lets the owner know it's touched?

Does the connection work the other way?
Great, now I've got the "To the pain" quote from Princess Bride going through my head... :)
Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Whitelaughter

Default Trauma from the Marches

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
That depends on what sort of combat you get into. There's always somebody out there who thinks he's badass enough to challenge a Celestial to Celestial Combat, no matter which plane they're on... and occasionally he's right.
Celestial Combat won't send you into Trauma - it's a highway to oblivion via Force stripping. Even losing all Corporeal Forces won't kill you physically (though on a maximum of 0 body hits, you can never regain consciousness) unless something else has already damaged you: and even then you aren't present for the Vessel's death, so don't suffer trauma.

Generally anything that normally does corporeal damage does ethereal damage when used in the Marches - a possible exception is Kiss of Death (IN p159) which is a Will attack that specifies that it does physical damage.

It's an interesting thought - perhaps Saminga could have an Attunement that allows this? It would make sense given his Word, his Egyptian connections, and the mutual antipathy between Saminga and Beleth.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celestials, hearts