Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
yersiniapestis

Default Cards in play, but not using

So my group and I have been playing Munchkin for a number of years and I'm not sure how this rule came about, but we have a question about its validity. A few members in our group have said that it is legal to have your normal cards in play (like your armor, footgear, whatever you have on your person, etc...) and then be able to lay down any items on the table that you cannot currently use, but that you might in the future if you just turn it sideways. That way it's known that it can't be used at this time, but it doesn't count as your cards in hand. Some of them lay down full sets of items (armor, footgear, headgear, weapons and one-shot items like loaded dice) and just turn them sideways so they're not in use and call it legal, but they still have a full hand. This isn't legal is it? This is like being able to have an entire other hand on the board and one in your hand (some of them keep as many as 15 cards turned sideways + the cards they have in play). Just need some clarification. Thanks!
yersiniapestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: Cards in play, but not using

Perfectly legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
An item card in your hand does not count until you play it; at that point, it is “carried.” You may carry any number of small items, but only one Big one. (Any item not marked Big is considered Small.) You may not simply discard one Big item to play another; you must sell it, trade it, lose it to a Curse or Bad Stuff, or discard it to power a Class or Race ability.
As long as it has a gold value printed on it (including No Value.)
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
yersiniapestis

So the items "carried" is different from the ones that you have on your character and use in battle? As in, you can have one armor "on" and use it in combat but at the same time carry another that you can't use for some reason? Just making sure I've got this right.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Enzzo

Yep, that is absolutely right :)

Be aware of these stipulations (of which Bampop already mentioned 1 and 2):
  1. Big items, of which you can normally only carry one
  2. Treasure cards without a Value are not Items and cannot be carried on the table this way
  3. Enhancers (Item Enhancers, Hireling Enhancers, Steed Enhancers, Ship Enhancers, etc) cannot be carried this way. They must be attached to an appropriate card, as stated on the card.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
yersiniapestis

Thanks for help guys!!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
arnej

Just to continue with the examination of the "turned-sideways" card, can they be stolen? I could see that as a definite disadvantage of laying things out unnecessarily.

arnej
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Mister Ed

Yup, being subject to theft is one of the risks of playing extra stuff to the table.

Another downside is that people KNOW you have certain things, like Loaded Die, or Wishing Ring, if you play them to the table, so you can no longer surprise people with them, and they will be able to take them into account. (Though sometimes this is a plus, as people might be less willing to play nasty cards against you when they KNOW you have a counter.)
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
wildbreloom

follow up question:

If you get hit with a lose your headgear and you have headgear you are wearing and one set down in reserve. Can you lose the headgear you aren't wearing to satisfy the curse? Do you have to lose both? Can you discard another headgear from your hand instead of the one on the table?
wildbreloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbreloom View Post
follow up question:

If you get hit with a lose your headgear and you have headgear you are wearing and one set down in reserve. Can you lose the headgear you aren't wearing to satisfy the curse? Do you have to lose both? Can you discard another headgear from your hand instead of the one on the table?
This is answered in the Munchkin FAQ, which I commend to your attention:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FAQ
Q. If I draw a Curse that says "Lose Your Armor," and I have an Armor card sideways, can I lose that one to satisfy the Curse?
A. It depends on the exact wording of the Curse. If the Curse says "Lose the Armor You Are Wearing," it must be Armor that you are using (and therefore gaining the benefits of). If it is "Lose One Armor," you would lose any single Armor card you had in play. And if it is just "Lose Your Armor," discard everything you have in play that is Armor. (As mentioned below, Cheated Armor is still Armor!)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote