Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Highland_Piper

Default GURPS Supers - Alternate Time Line

My High Fantasy game has slowed as I have started to run out of ideas and juice. All the players are dealing with post traumatic stress after being on a crusade against the ghoul nations for almost two year of gaming.

I've been thinking of running a Supers campaign that would have a slightly altered time line then the one we have. Supers have been around since the beginning of the human race and are infact responsible for all the myths and legends in human history.

I figure there are more supers now then their where in the past due to population growth, low infant death, and other factors.

Now I need to decide how having Supers has affected the time stream. would nations be the same? Has it changed religions? How has it influenced the growth of technology?

I don't want to make this Super Earth be totally foreign in nature and I don't want to get too bogged down in little details.

So I thought I would ask if anyone had any ideas/opinions they would like to express?

A couple of things I thought would work are
  • WWII - Class system based off of Supers Power level. Tried imposing it on other nations by force
  • Instead of the growth of communism you get a similar system that requires total submission of Supers to the people. They are there to serve and are forced to. Supers have no rights and must be registered.
  • Most modern nations do not have the finances or resources to create enough Super Prisons. Most Super Villians are executed.
  • Antarctica is its own nation rules by a super villian

I've also been wondering would the U.S.A. ever have formed? A combined attack of Britain and Tribal nations may have subdued the rebellion making the colonies still in British control and the rest of what is the States in the hands of a United Tribes of America.

That is about all I have gotten so far. I'm still trying to deal with the fallout of our Fantasy campaign as well.

Any suggestions would be grand!
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: GURPS Supers - Alternate Time Line

How many supers are there overall?

Are they distributed in proportion to population? To economic productivity? To area? To something more exotic such as number of religious personnel, or scientific research budgets?

What are the numbers at different power levels? A super who's the equivalent of a knight in armor, one who's the equivalent of a tank, one who's the equivalent of a dreadnought, and one who's at a power level comparable to a powerful state as a whole will have different political impacts.

GURPS Supers has some suggestions for ways to address this sort of thing; they might be a useful starting point. Take a look at Chapter 8 in the ToC.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history, alternate timelines, alternate world version, supers