Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 07-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
GM Joe

Default Re: Public Announcement

I'm very sorry to see the magazine go.

In addition to its plethora of great content, it was something I could show to the folks who thought GURPS was dying.

It was a great illustration of how seriously SJ Games takes the GURPS product line, because a magazine dedicated to a single RPG is (and always has been) such an uncommon thing.

I understand the decision, but it still makes me sad.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
Refplace

I did not buy every issue but it still saddens me to see Pyramid go.
On the other hand if it means more GURPS supplements I will be happy.
But a lot of niche ideas that fit in Pyramid might not have seen the light of day otherwise and that could be a loss in the future. Also new writers will find it harder to break in.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #13
SilvercatMoonpaw

While I feel bad about it going, from my personal perspective I'm not surprised: when I find myself want only an article or two in an issue it's just not a great sell to me. Focused supplements are more likely to hook me.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #14
rknop

Very sad.

I am not surprised; I half (or more?) expected this after Phil's "downsizing" post a week or a few ago.

But very sad.
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #15
ULFGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
"Closing down Pyramid will give our team more time to spend on the GURPS game, producing more PDFs and bringing more out-of-print GURPS books back to print through the GURPS On Demand program. Additionally, this will give the team time to explore the thousands of Pyramid articles that we have published since 1993 and select the best works that are worthy of compilation, expansion, and update to the GURPS 4th edition rules."
I read it, and I hope it's the case. Pyramid has been the only reliable release for years, including times when other big products took resources away from GURPS. I'm just wondering if we're only losing Pyramid, not gaining more supplements. If the flow of new material becomes too slow, the line will be in danger of disappearing even further from any sort of awareness beyond the existing fanbase.

I honestly don't know if Pyramid was a money sink for sjgames; if so, it was probably the best business decision that could be made. I really hope this will hrrald a new era of more tgan 4-ish supplements per year.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #16
ColBosch

This makes me sadder than I expected to feel. If it hadn't been for Pyramid, I never would've had my 15 femtoseconds in the game industry. I do hope you still have a place at SJ Games, Mr. Marsh.

...also, how the hell am I going to keep my razor blades sharp now!?

Last edited by ColBosch; 07-25-2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Whoops.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #17
Jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
-Partial Snip-

I hope Pyramid’s regular writers can find a niche among the remaining and new options.

Godspeed, GURPS!
While not every article or issue interested me more than a few ended up suprising me. I just hope there will be some alternative route for those style of articles in the future.
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #18
ULFGARD

I'm also really going to miss the Random Though Table articles. Even on issues that weren't directly relevant to my games and / or interests, there was always something in those to make me take a different look at the theme of the issue, and there were often direct take-aways from them.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #19
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
I'm also really going to miss the Random Though Table articles. Even on issues that weren't directly relevant to my games and / or interests, there was always something in those to make me take a different look at the theme of the issue, and there were often direct take-aways from them.
Good point, many of those articles served as good inspiration and I suspect will be hard to find in new supplements, Unless maybe Steven does some forwards for them.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #20
aaron819

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
Is this the beginning of a death spiral for GURPS? A major refocus of sjgames to TFT? A move to kickstarter projects for everything?
I don't think GURPS will die anytime soon. It may decline a bit over time, but I doubt SJ would let it die.
aaron819 is offline   Reply With Quote