Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
PenitentDemon

Default Can Eli Strike or Mend a heart?

Am curious if Eli can strike or Mend a heart currently. or would That neccessitate him showing his face in heaven, likely leading to him being arrested by Dominic?
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Can Eli Strike or Mend a heart?

Canonically, there's little if any data.

My thought is that Eli is the Archangel of Creation, and thus would be able to create a new Heart anywhere... but mending or breaking an existing Heart would be beyond him if he isn't in Heaven. And I have no idea what would happen to a Celestial with two Hearts, one of them damaged.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Canonically, there's little if any data.

My thought is that Eli is the Archangel of Creation, and thus would be able to create a new Heart anywhere... but mending or breaking an existing Heart would be beyond him if he isn't in Heaven. And I have no idea what would happen to a Celestial with two Hearts, one of them damaged.
Sounds like a potential adventure seed. (Rushes off to scheme.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:04 AM   #4
Whitelaughter

Superiors can inflict and remove dissonance from their Servitors, so he could easily drop 6 points of dissonance to auto-trip the Servitor, and then (if feeling nice) remove the dissonance.
Mend? Seems trickier. However, it's canon that he can create a Heart, as Euodias(LS p114) is a Bright of Creation; if he hadn't provided her with a Heart she'd simply be a Novalite. So I assume so.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:41 AM   #5
Methariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
or would That neccessitate him showing his face in heaven, likely leading to him being arrested by Dominic?
I don't know if he would get arrested by Dominic or his forces immediately. After all, they would have to know Eli was in Heaven in the first place. So if he found a way to 'sneak' into Heaven - maybe using some obscure Tether or two, not widely known to exist - he might 'do the deed' and vanish before anybody noticed.

Where do Angels of Creation keep their Hearts, by the way? I don't have my books around, being at work and procrastinating writing a court letter, but I think I remember reading somewhere that at least some of them deliberately hide their Hearts. Or am I mistaken? If they hid their Hearts, they would have to meet Eli on the Corporeal Plane, tell him their Heart needs mending and where it is stowed. Maybe giving Eli easier access to their Hearts in an emergency might be why they hid them, with hiding making it harder to just post a Reliever to monitor it and give a signal to the Inquisition as soon as Eli shows up?

Still, the most difficult thing for our unlucky Heart-cracked servitors would be finding Eli to tell him of their misery, at least if they wanted to avoid the Disturbance invoking him would cause. And even if they found him, they would have to get his attention and remind him that he is an Archangel and not a Bob Marley-cosplayer.

M.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel View Post
Where do Angels of Creation keep their Hearts, by the way? I don't have my books around, being at work and procrastinating writing a court letter, but I think I remember reading somewhere that at least some of them deliberately hide their Hearts. Or am I mistaken? If they hid their Hearts, they would have to meet Eli on the Corporeal Plane, tell him their Heart needs mending and where it is stowed. Maybe giving Eli easier access to their Hearts in an emergency might be why they hid them, with hiding making it harder to just post a Reliever to monitor it and give a signal to the Inquisition as soon as Eli shows up?

Still, the most difficult thing for our unlucky Heart-cracked servitors would be finding Eli to tell him of their misery, at least if they wanted to avoid the Disturbance invoking him would cause. And even if they found him, they would have to get his attention and remind him that he is an Archangel and not a Bob Marley-cosplayer.

M.
From the Eli PDF:

P 3:
Quote:
A few of Eli’s most favored Servitors still do his direct
bidding. (“Do what thou wilt,” he told them, “but be cool.”)
They go on esoteric errands at his whim, and often don’t
understand what they’re doing, or why. They keep their own
Hearts, hiding them where they can.
P 18:
Quote:
The Servitors of Creation have moved their Hearts elsewhere,
or hidden them, no longer comfortable to leave them
in the great Heart Rooms that once glowed with a thousand
points of celestial light.

Tags
eli, hearts