Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 07-09-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
rboeglinjr

Default changing your race

Can you swap races at will? I have looked through the forums and combed the rules again but cannot find the answer. In the rules regarding classes it says you may decide to drop your class at will. Can you do the same for race? In the rules it says that the rules for class apply to the races. In my opinion it means that you can discard a race whenever please. With classes that makes sense. "I decide I don't want to be a cleric anymore, so I won't pray to the gods for help." "I'm tired of casting spells, I'm not gonna cast anymore." but if that applies to race I don't see the logic. "I don't want to be an elf anymore" (morphs into a human)

any official ruling and others opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited by rboeglinjr; 07-09-2015 at 03:30 AM. Reason: clarification
rboeglinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:28 AM   #2
Bellum

Default Re: changing your race

Pay attention to the second page of the rules:

When You May Take Actions

You may perform these actions at any time:
Discard a Class or Race.

You may perform these actions on your own turn:
Play a new Class or Race card (at any time).
Bellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:36 AM   #3
rboeglinjr

I see. Thanks for that. I was reading the section about races and didn't think to look in that section.
rboeglinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
iptohip

I think the instructions say you can only discard the previous race/class card, rather than swap it out with another, which means, once you replace it with a new race/class, your old race/class goes in the discard pile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboeglinjr View Post
Can you swap races at will? I have looked through the forums and combed the rules again but cannot find the answer. In the rules regarding classes it says you may decide to drop your class at will. Can you do the same for race? In the rules it says that the rules for class apply to the races. In my opinion it means that you can discard a race whenever please. With classes that makes sense. "I decide I don't want to be a cleric anymore, so I won't pray to the gods for help." "I'm tired of casting spells, I'm not gonna cast anymore." but if that applies to race I don't see the logic. "I don't want to be an elf anymore" (morphs into a human)

any official ruling and others opinions would be appreciated.
iptohip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newb, race