Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2015, 11:54 PM   #11
fifiste

Default Re: Mass Combat battle strategy: Destroy enemy element!

Definately taking doable but something that should take heeavy penalties and also should take a higher than usual toll on your forces even in cases of success. (Unless the margin of victory is really high or something)
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #12
ArchonShiva

Not a complete solution, but a tool to consider including in one:

Assume half of your damage is on targets of opportunity, so you can't optimize that. Determine a percentage up to 50% of your damage that you want on a specific target. Halve the value of this damage.

The opponent can either take this damage to the specified forces, or take four times that damage assigned normally.

Multipliers can be adjusted, and there should still be a roll involved, but the idea is that the attacker sacrifices damage to choose a target, but the defender can sacrifice troops (taking, in the end, even more damage) to protect a favored asset.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #13
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I have a hard time seeing how there could be a generic rule for it. As I wrote before, I think the difficulty and effects would depend way too much on the specifics.

"Concentrate fire on that super star destoyer!" - "Ok, there it is, let's aim and fire."

"Concentrate on killing the enemy king and his generals!" - "Um... ok, where are they? In their rear somewhere? What about the 6,000 footmen between us and them?"

1941: "Concentrate on the enemy tanks!" - "The few anti-tank weapons we have will, and if we ever get close enough, we may try some grenades, but otherwise, most of us just have rifles and machineguns, which can't really do anything to their tanks, and they have lots of infantry too, so surely you can't mean we fire bullets at their tanks, right?"
Well, at Cunuxa, Cyrus the younger tried to decapitate the command and control of the opponent. He failed.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #14
The Benj

Sounds like ... winning a Quick Contest of Strategy.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
chandley

Given that this is normally handled by "Significant Actions", I think there would need to be both a prerequisite for the troops attempting this action ("Hero") and someway to apply the Misfortunes of War to those units... as if they where lead by a PC who accepted risk to attempt this significant action.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #16
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Well, in the case of Cunuxa, Cyrus the Younger failed in his attempt to decapitate the command of his rival, but his army won the battle: the 10,000 greeks completely routed the persian infantry, and the cavalry never attempt to contest the battlefield with the greeks.

I think ArchonShiva had a good idea with halving the damage, but allowing it to focus on one element, while the defender can increase damage to his over-all forces, while reducing damage to the element.

Tags
combat, design, house rules, mass combat, wwii