Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
Anthony

Default Damage to Shields

So, looking at shields:
A light shield is DR 5, HP 20. It's probably a homogeneous wood object with an area of about 2 sf (1 lb/sf), which is about 1/4" of wood, so computed value is about DR 1, HP 10.
A small shield is DR 6, HP 30, and the same 2 sf, so it's 4 lb/sf. Figure about 0.05" of iron over 0.5" of wood, so computed value is about DR 3, HP 16.
A medium shield is DR 7, HP 40, and probably more like 4 sf, so similar areal density to the small shield; computed value is about DR 3, HP 20.
A large shield is DR 9, HP 60, and probably more like 6 sf, so similar areal density to the small shield; computed value is about DR 3, HP 24.

That's a ... large discrepancy. The easiest fix is to assume that Damage to Shields uses half of the weapon's damage. This leaves light, small, and medium shields about the same toughness as they are in RAW (taking 22, 38, and 46 damage to break, instead of 25, 36, and 47) though it still reduces large shields significantly (51 vs 69).

I also notice that there do not appear to be any rules for deliberately attacking shields.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Damage to Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
So, looking at shields:
A light shield is DR 5, HP 20. It's probably a homogeneous wood object with an area of about 2 sf (1 lb/sf), which is about 1/4" of wood, so computed value is about DR 1, HP 10.
A small shield is DR 6, HP 30, and the same 2 sf, so it's 4 lb/sf. Figure about 0.05" of iron over 0.5" of wood, so computed value is about DR 3, HP 16.
A medium shield is DR 7, HP 40, and probably more like 4 sf, so similar areal density to the small shield; computed value is about DR 3, HP 20.
A large shield is DR 9, HP 60, and probably more like 6 sf, so similar areal density to the small shield; computed value is about DR 3, HP 24.

That's a ... large discrepancy. The easiest fix is to assume that Damage to Shields uses half of the weapon's damage. This leaves light, small, and medium shields about the same toughness as they are in RAW (taking 22, 38, and 46 damage to break, instead of 25, 36, and 47) though it still reduces large shields significantly (51 vs 69).
Is it really desirable to start from Basic Set rather than Low Tech stats for something like this?
Quote:
I also notice that there do not appear to be any rules for deliberately attacking shields.
Martial Arts p122.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
Gnome

My understanding (though I have no expertise whatsoever in this area) is that a wooden shield is not simply a hunk of wood. It's primarily wood but reinforced with leather, metals, etc. and probably also hardened and varnished and so on.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
Rasputin

Quote:
So, looking at shields:
(snipped)That's a ... large discrepancy.
I'm pretty sure that what happened was that the table from the 3e Basic Set found its way into the 3e Basic Set, with the headers changed for 4e.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Is it really desirable to start from Basic Set rather than Low Tech stats for something like this?
Ah, didn't realize LT had fixed that.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Ah, didn't realize LT had fixed that.
You might find some issues there too, but you won't find 60 HP shields at least.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
DanHoward

Low-Tech fixed a lot of things. It went through almost a year of playtesting and reality checking.