Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:24 AM   #71
RogerBW

Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Nah. A GEV that has lost power is basically one of these that has lost power. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/47-foot_Motor_Lifeboat
Or indeed one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR.N4
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #72
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Clarification about how INF can be combined in ODE.

Specifically, looking at 5th Ed Ogre 5.021 compared to ODE 5.02.1; ODE is unclear that you can have a 2-INF and a 1-INF in the same hex at the same time, even if stacking is not being used.

Additionally, it needs to be clarified if spillover is in effect in this case when using "Classic" Ogre rules. The expectation is "no" because Ogre has no spillover.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #73
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Introduce yourself/general chatter

Ed.note - the following copied here for collection of errata and rule clarifications.

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend
"If your ogre has to run over an LT speedbump to ram my ogre then ... too bad for the flat LT, but you don't get to ram my ogre." I think that's right. (..I don't think I've had that come up in a game... The overrun rules don't have all these caveats.)
Or a single squad of INF, for that matter. If that was the intent, than I think a clarification in the rules would be nice:
6.01.1 Limit on ramming. An Ogre may ram either a maximum of two non-Ogre units, or one enemy Ogre per turn.
That way it's clear they are mutually-exclusive (i.e., an Ogre can't be one of the two rams).

Last edited by wolf90; 10-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #74
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Units other than INF and GEVs using railroads...

2.03.2 states GEVs and INF treat railroads as roads, and the Reference Sheet says "No effect" for other units, but does that mean railroads do not help other units with terrain? I always interpreted this as "other units don't get the road bonus, but they are still not affected by the terrain."

Are other units still affected by terrain if they are following a railroad?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #75
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
2.03.2 states GEVs and INF treat railroads as roads, and the Reference Sheet says "No effect" for other units, but does that mean railroads do not help other units with terrain? I always interpreted this as "other units don't get the road bonus, but they are still not affected by the terrain."

Are other units still affected by terrain if they are following a railroad?
"No effect" for other units if they are following a railroad, so they are still stuck in the terrain.

I remember GEVs on railroads coming up in the edits, and some rationalization for why GEVs and not tanks. I don't recall any discussion of sparing any units the terrain penalty without a bonus. (I argued against giving GEVs that bonus, so best not to go by just my memory.)

It would change Breakthrough.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #76
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
"No effect" for other units if they are following a railroad, so they are still stuck in the terrain.

I remember GEVs on railroads coming up in the edits, and some rationalization for why GEVs and not tanks. I don't recall any discussion of sparing any units the terrain penalty without a bonus. (I argued against giving GEVs that bonus, so best not to go by just my memory.)

It would change Breakthrough.
Where it gets confusing is from 2.03.3:
Note that any unit can cross a railroad bridge.
If any unit can use a railroad bridge to negate terrain (stream or river, etc) then why can't it negate other terrain? I get why you wouldn't get a road bonus, but it's still effectively a clear space through the terrain.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #77
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Huh. I always read "no effect" as "terrain has no effect on unit" = "treat as clear."
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #78
Mack_JB

I can see not getting a road bonus for following a railroad (railroads have been used as pathways for tanks forever, but it is slower going); but to say the terrain a railroad track passes through affects the units is just plain silly. In that case, how does the train itself traverse those hexes?
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #79
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Huh. I always read "no effect" as "terrain has no effect on unit" = "treat as clear."
That's always been my interpretation as well (although I never actually thought about it that way), which is the point of bringing it up.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #80
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfout View Post
Proposed - that GEV class vehicles, when disabled while on a water hex, are instead destroyed.

If the fans stop running, the hovercraft doesn't hover any more. It sinks.
I would say this...a Disabled GEV does not have the ability to attack while it is Disabled like other units because it is not as robust and is the only unit that hovers. The Disabled GEV loses it's movement ability and it's hover ability, thus, it would be floating in the water or sationary in other terrain unable to properly use it's weapons since they were designed for use while the GEV was hovering and able to move.

In this proposed case, the Disabled GEV cannot attack while Disabled.

Now Combine GEVs have a turret for their weapon, and Paneurope have a combination, with the main weapon on the nose of the unit, but I'm arguing when both units are Disabled this renders these weapons ineffective enough to be considered not able to fire while Disabled.

...otherwise a Disable means the vehicle itself is able to function normally, just the crew is not able to.

I do like the notion of having GEVs more vulnerable over water. This suggestion only makes sense if when Disabled the no attack rule applies no matter what terrain it is Disabled in. It's stated in the source material they are fragile, ect...this would allow that to be manifest in a cool little way in the game.

You could make this rule for early Last War GEVs, making a distinction between early and late Last War GEVs.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 10-12-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote