Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
mogwai

Default Giant Skunk and Bad Smell vs Kneepads of Allure (inaccurate translation?)

Hi!

I have Russian sets with inaccurate translation of "Bad Smell" card.
Can you provide original text for cads Giant Skunk [Unnatural Axe] and Bad Smell [Cheat With Both Hands]? I can't find it anywhere.

Kneepads of Allure says: "ни один игрок не может отказать тебе в помощи…". It is correct equivalent for "If you ask for someone for help, they may not refuse …"
Giant Skunk says: "Твои друзья… не могут помогать тебе…" which we can clearly interpret as "Your firends… can not help you…"

But Bad Smell translated as "Другие манчкины винят в отвратном запахе тебя, не подозревая, что ты бьёшься с монстром, так что и помогать тебе не будут." (back translation: Other Munchkins blame you for the bad smell, without suspecting that you are fighting with a monster, so they will not help you.)

Here is an issue: "помогать тебе не будут" can be "don't want help you" and "can not help you" at the same time.
Which is correct?
Can I use Kneepads of Allure to force them help me whether they want it or not? Or they can not help me because of bad smell?
mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Giant Skunk and Bad Smell vs Kneepads of Allure (inaccurate translation?)

Bad Smell prevents anyone from helping you. You're on your own.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
mogwai

Default Re: Giant Skunk and Bad Smell vs Kneepads of Allure (inaccurate translation?)

Can you provide original text from the card, please?
mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
Max-level

They will not allow full card text on the forums. But I did find and old post where someone had a similar question.

"The Kneepads force them to help you regardless of level, combat strength, gender, race, class, or anything else. The only thing that would stop them from helping you would be a card that specifically says they can't help you."

since bad smell says they can't/won't help you, I'd say that you can not use the pads. I'm no official though, so I could be wrong.

EDIT: just seen Andrew's post. He gave you the answer and he is the official answer.
Max-level is offline   Reply With Quote