Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
felipeds

Default Munchkin for younger kids (modified ruleset)

Hey Guys,

Since I bought this game my younger kids (both 6 yo) have been dying to play, but I found the ruleset and some aspects of the game very complicated for them.

So I have been tweeting the rules and cards we use and we have been having a great time with the game, so I decided to document the adaptations I made and tweaked so other people can enjoy it with their younglings.

http://munchkinforkids.wikia.com/wiki/Munchkinforkids_Wiki

Please share you comments and if this gets some traction I will keep updating this documentation with my experience and the card selection for other sets (currently I only have the Deluxe).
felipeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Munchkin for younger kids (modified ruleset)

Your rules look very creative! I showed them to Steve to get his feedback, and he had a few comments:
  • In a few places, you're quoting our rules directly, in a way that's a bit beyond what we're comfortable with. In your next draft, please rephrase places where you've quoted us in this version.
  • "Lose" has one O. "Loose" children are something VERY different!
  • At the end, the snowball effect is mentioned. I can see that. What about making the lead player roll a 6 only to Run Away? Being in the lead, they are closer to the monsters?

Please keep us up to date as you continue refining and expanding your Munchkin-for-munchkins rules!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
felipeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
  • In a few places, you're quoting our rules directly, in a way that's a bit beyond what we're comfortable with. In your next draft, please rephrase places where you've quoted us in this version.
That is a fair point, A lot of what I did was copy from the manual that came along with my copy of the game. I will work on changing those in the next few days.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
felipeds

I edited most of the text.

I will try the suggestions for the Snowball portion of the game. I am not sure it will help since most of the time but level 7 the player ahead has around 17 CS(4+3+3 from items plus level) and hardly looses any combat, since there is not a lot of lvl 17+ monsters on the deck.

I tried using only 2 items, but than ww lost a lot of the combats and the kids would get frustrated.

Last edited by felipeds; 08-03-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
campbellsNYC

Very interesting framework for a set of rules for a younger audience. Thanks for sharing, felipeds!
//jake
campbellsNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
felipeds

Hey guys,

I had some free time on my hands, so I made a python script to simulate the gameplay and check the balance of the game, since there is not really any decision at this game mode, mostly just hoping for good cards out of the decks (the game basically plays itself, but helps kids do math and compare numbers).

The results are basically what I expected for now. At 3 players, running 10000 games, the average win rate of each player is around 33%, but the number I was really hoping to find is the % of games that the player that was ahead after 6 rounds won. That number was 75%, which is quite high.

Now I have a mathematical framework to adjust the ruleset to try to improve on that % while still keeping the win % of each player around 33%.

I'll keep working on it when I have time and report back here.