Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Gryphon25

Default Two Guns

I have a character that uses two pistols.

He has a 15 strength so that is not an issue.
Has ambidexterity.

His Guns skill is 16.

I then took enough in two weapon attack which as I understand is my attack for the off hand and raised it to 16 as well.

I realize I can not aim at two targets correct?

My main question is, can I fire at two separate targets with no penalty and how is that determined. Please use references where possible so I can show the GM.

My GM said that my 2nd attack is at a 9 which makes no sense to me or else why put any extra points in my two weapon attack if the off hand is always 9.

Thanks,
Gryphon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Two Guns

Unmodified the with Guns (Pistols) -16 fire two pistols via Dual Weapon Attack you can shot two adjacent targets, or a single target who would be at -1 to dodge at Guns (Pistols) -12 and 8

With Ambidexterity [5] or Off Hand Weapon Training (Pistols) [1] you would be at Guns (Pistols) -12 and 12.

Also buying Dual Weapon Attack (Pistols)-4 [5] you would the be at Guns (Pistols) -16 and 16 again

however that's before you into accoutn Range Modifiers
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Gryphon25

Thanks that's how I understood it. Now what if I wanted to shoot at two individuals that were multiple hexes apart. How is that modified? Is there an arc of view rule?

For adjacent targets, can I aim at them both or just one?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon25 View Post
Thanks that's how I understood it. Now what if I wanted to shoot at two individuals that were multiple hexes apart. How is that modified? Is there an arc of view rule?

For adjacent targets, can I aim at them both or just one?

Thanks
You can aim at just one target, you lose bullets for every yard between targets.

There is an arc of view rule, but it's relatively forgiving. If you use realistic shooting rules, of course, check Tactical Shooting for situational awareness and how many targets you can identify at once and so forth.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

There is definitely no rule capping skill on the off hand.

However, you can't use both guns as one attack either (unless you're using them to lay down suppressive fire). And so you have the problem of how you're making two attacks in the same turn.

You can do it as a Dual Weapon Attack or as a Rapid Strike, which typically implies a hefty penalty. If you have Extra Attack you could shoot the second gun with that at no penalty.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
You can aim at just one target, you lose bullets for every yard between targets.
You may be thinking of the Spraying Fire option. He's using DWA to make two attack rolls, not splitting one attack between multiple targets. Once the character has bought off the Dual-Weapon and Off-Hand penalties, the only limiting factor for attacking two targets is that you can't Aim at both of them at once (unless you have Enhanced Tracking, of course).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
You may be thinking of the Spraying Fire option. He's using DWA to make two attack rolls, not splitting one attack between multiple targets. Once the character has bought off the Dual-Weapon and Off-Hand penalties, the only limiting factor for attacking two targets is that you can't Aim at both of them at once (unless you have Enhanced Tracking, of course).
If he's attacking two targets with two guns, he doesn't lose bullets. If he wants to attack more than that, though, he does.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Gryphon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
There is definitely no rule capping skill on the off hand.

However, you can't use both guns as one attack either (unless you're using them to lay down suppressive fire). And so you have the problem of how you're making two attacks in the same turn.

You can do it as a Dual Weapon Attack or as a Rapid Strike, which typically implies a hefty penalty. If you have Extra Attack you could shoot the second gun with that at no penalty.
So if I do not aim, use dual weapon and am facing 2 targets, 5 yards apart, is that possible? What if I just fired one shot at each from separate guns?

The issue I am having is how far apart can two targets be and both be attacked still from separate guns?

Target A attacked by gun in right hand and target B attacked by gun in left hand.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon25 View Post
So if I do not aim, use dual weapon and am facing 2 targets, 5 yards apart, is that possible? What if I just fired one shot at each from separate guns?

The issue I am having is how far apart can two targets be and both be attacked still from separate guns?

Target A attacked by gun in right hand and target B attacked by gun in left hand.
As long as they are both within your field of vision, you can attack both at your skill level, but you cannot aim at them both.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Gryphon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
As long as they are both within your field of vision, you can attack both at your skill level, but you cannot aim at them both.

Thanks, as I understood, what is the field of vision rules?