Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Walrus

Default [MA] Wrestling with No Manipulators

During the work on underwater setting I expect the possibilities of fight between sperm whale (Timmy) and giant octopus or squid or some other (Kraken).

So, we have huge and stronger Timmy with No Manipulators and lighter and lesser Kraken with a lot of Extra Flexible Long Arms. I think, biting difference is like SM+3.

What could one expect of a combat?

I see that Timmy can have Brawling and Sumo Wrestling while Kraken has Brawling and Wrestling. Both can have Aquabatics as well.

The main issue is about releasing from a grapple. With a lot of sticky tentacles with current rules it's nearly impossible for Timmy to break free. But can he move very fast, perform some evolutions or do something else to drop Kraken? Or does he have to use some external surfaces like rocks or sole?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
bcd

Default Re: [MA] Wrestling with No Manipulators

Sea animals that are good swimmers appear to like to jump out of the water and crash back down into it in order to dislodge parasites and the like. This could deliver crush attacks to the squid which presumably has less DR than Timmy does. I don't know that sperm whales do this though, they seem a bit too big for leaping much?

Timmy could also rub up against other convenient objects, like reefs, the sea bottom, a nearby ship, Timmy's parents, etc., to inflict damage on the attached squid or even knock it off.

Edit: and if Timmy has better Pressure Support than the squid, then this can be put to good use in sufficiently deep waters.
bcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
Sea animals that are good swimmers appear to like to jump out of the water I don't know that sperm whales do this though, they seem a bit too big for leaping much?
Apparently they do leap.
Quote:
Edit: and if Timmy has better Pressure Support than the squid, then this can be put to good use in sufficiently deep waters.
He hasn't. He is, after all, an air-breathing mammal. Sperm whales do have good pressure support, but they use it to be able to dive deep enough to hunt giant squid.

Last edited by johndallman; 03-22-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: quoting
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

There (at least at one time) was an option we put into Technical Grappling that I think you'll like for this.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Refplace

If the Kraken is light enough Timmy may still be able to move but with the Kraken as encumbrance. This may allow one of the tactics suggested above.
If the Kraken however is too heavy or if able to apply its ST an anchor to something then it may be impossible for Timmy the whale to move.

I think Timmy should be able to try and shake the Kraken off (though it would be hard) and this could be simulated by the normal break free rules. The Kraken will get a big bonus for Extra Arms (8 arms is +12 for 6 more then 2 and +5 for the first 2 for +17!) and Timmy has a -4 DX. However nothing says you have to have a limb to try and break free. Your not even penalized for it, you just do not get the bonus of multiple arms.
Note though that becasue both critters have such a high ST that bonus is a lot less critical then in human ST opponents.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Apparently they do leap.
They haven't been observed doing this with giant squid attached, though. I strongly suspect this isn't how they kill their prey. :)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Anthony

Realistically, multi-limbed creatures are likely to have lower strength per limb, which makes up for the bonus for extra limbs.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
They haven't been observed doing this with giant squid attached, though. I strongly suspect this isn't how they kill their prey. :)
No the grab hold and bite... basically what a man with a knife will do to the very large constrictor that it has no hope of braking it it grip... try to kill it first.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
No the grab hold and bite... basically what a man with a knife will do to the very large constrictor that it has no hope of braking it it grip... try to kill it first.
Maybe. We really don't know a lot about how they actually hunt.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #10
Edman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Maybe. We really don't know a lot about how they actually hunt.
I'd say much like the narwhals in this video.

- Baron von Münchausen
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote