Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #71
walkir

Default Re: Gurps Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
And that's why I'm looking forward to the PDF!
Oh, I got that too. But after purchasing the second printed copy... Sometimes having three copies open can be helpful.
walkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #72
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I want an autographed copy. When people ask me who my favorite author is, I sometimes say David L. Pulver just to throw them.

Robots was my favorite GURPS book ever, and I loved Mecha too. Vehicles was cool, but I didn't get into it as much. I spent hours upon hours designing robots. Will I be able to accomplish the same results with the new VDS?
Thanks, that's kind of you to say!

The VDS lacks the detailed ROBOTS rules on translating systems to character points, and the specialized robot rules for things like programming. However, robotic systems including biomorphics, arms, claws, AI software, cyborg brains, etc. are covered, so you may find it helpful, and our playtesters have successfully built both humanoid and nonhumanoid robots.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #73
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekun View Post
Sweeet :)

Woot :J Is there any org interest in using the more complex system to build modules for this system, possibly as a third "translation" product after those two are done?
None from SJ Games - I think they felt the modular approach was taken a bit too far in 3rd edition (creating layers of systems built atop other systems, and requiring lots of editorial work to get things to work right).

Of course, if many people end up liking and buying the VDS rules and want more material to support it, expansions (or Pyramid issues) might be possible. And people can create their own modular sets in any event.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #74
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
Out of curiosity, did you add or change anything for reliability? If I remember correctly, the original used reliability only in regards to the entire vehicle, and then it was offered only with respect to overall cost. This made cheap vehicles seem sturdy, and expensive vehicles unreliable, with no regards to individual components.

Also, did you add any more on crewing vehicles?
- Reliability issues is something I'm working on now. (I was just discussing rocket reliability statistics.) It's easier to apply it to the vehicle as a whole, since that can have a direct effect on HT. However, there is a now an option to create delicate individual components that are less or more troublesome.

- Crewing vehicles is covered in roughly the same amount of detail.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #75
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Bear in mind that the VDS isn't finished yet. Very nearly so, apparently; but not quite done. While I'm grateful for what David Pulver has seen fit to say about it thus far, it strikes me as premature to be asking for details.
Yes - there's still a fair bit of work on my part left to do, and some decisions to make about whether or not certain things actually need to be in the book.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:48 PM   #76
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBackman View Post
If SJG would give VDS the attention it deserves maybe they should pay the man working on it, neh?
Ah, such would be nice. It's all based on royalties though, so ultimately the customers get to pay me. If it sells 1,000 copies, I'll be happy... (As usual, the book will be e23 release, and then if it does really well, there's some chance of a print book, computer support, etc.).
Old 12-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #77
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Just made my day with this news, and FWIW all your hard work is very much appreciated on this. GURPS is one of the few systems where this kind of project gets the attention it deserves, and hopefully the appreciation as well.

Not only would I buy this the day it becomes available, I'd sign up for a ransom as well.

Now as much as I prefer real books I can also see why this project is tailor made for PDFs, especially for add ons and options. For me GURPS is all about the options.
Thanks! Glad looking forward to it - it helps maintain my effort!

Anyway, back to work. Current topic: whether my "oversize weapon rules" need to be deleted now they've got ones in LT Companion (mine will probably go in favor of a page reference, since the LT ones look fine) and checking the catapult and liquid projector design sequences to make sure they produce results not too far away from what LT has...
Old 01-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #78
walkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Of course, if many people end up liking and buying the VDS rules and want more material to support it, expansions (or Pyramid issues) might be possible. And people can create their own modular sets in any event.
I would most definitely buy GURPS Traveller Starships 4e (including some JTAS articles like turret modules or redundancy) - but sadly, that's not what I think you're talking about. Expansion like the old ones are a sure buy, anyway.
walkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #79
whswhs

Quote:
In some ways, VDS is kind of like a giant manual (Steampunk era?) computer program...
Pre-steampunk, actually. There are historical studies of the art of designing algorithms to be executed by large groups of (human) computers working in parallel; see for example the work of de Prony during the French Revolution, as documented in Grier's When Computers Were Human. And there were people earlier than de Prony, though not working on so large a scale.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:45 AM   #80
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
I hope to deliver a final draft early in the new year (and then it will be up to production).
This is great news!
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps vds, vehicle design system