Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Stripe

Default Re: Gurps Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
We'll miss you. A lot of us really want those rules
Agreed. Bye.

Robots was my number one all-time favorite GURPS book. I spent hours upon hours making robots. I loved Mecha as well, but didn't use it nearly as much.

Please, SJGames, put out Robots 4e in a PDF!
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBackman View Post
GURPS Vehicles was IMHO the best roleplaying supplement ever to come out...
I totally agree. I remember the day I picked it up brand-new at my FLGS and pretty much wore it out using it. As much as people make characters as "thought experiments" I did the same with vehicles.

Now I'll say I don't like the new Spaceships system that much. It's more or less merely "good enough" and "the only thing we have" and I'd have much, much preferred rules similar to the last 3rd Ed version of Space. If GURPS Vehicle Design ends up based on that kind of system it'll be mostly worthless to me.

Now I really don't want a vehicle system where every ounce has to be counted, though. It got annoying having to remember every little tiny and fairly routine detail on a complex build. That's where Mecha and Space with their pre-assembled modules was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Robots was my number one all-time favorite GURPS book. I spent hours upon hours making robots. I loved Mecha as well, but didn't use it nearly as much.

Please, SJGames, put out Robots 4e in a PDF!
I disagree. I think the new character-based system simply makes more sense. Instead of spending hours accounting for every nut and bolt on a robot for the sole purpose of getting a list of character specs, you start with the character specs and then find out the monetary price based off the point cost. Sure, there's some niggling bits like the mass and size of the robot but those are handwavium at some point in the process anyway. (If anything I don't know how many robots I designed that weren't full of empty space to fill out a certain size.)

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
cosmicfish

I LOVED Vehicles. As others have noted, most real-world vehicles can be easily translated into GURPS terminology, but that doesn't help you if you want something new. I always had a big problem with sci-fi campaigns in so many campaigns because nothing added up, and GURPS allowed me to rectify that in my own campaigns.

As to the complexity complaint, I long ago set up an EXCEL spreadsheet that would do the calculations for me - it took a few hours to set up, but then I could crank out an entire fleet at the cost of a few minutes per ship class.

Having experienced Vehicles, I really dislike the new starship creation rules - they are really limited in what you can do, a philosophical break from the versatility that defines GURPS. Even worse, any 4ed Vehicles would have to mesh with the existing rules... which makes it that much more likely that 4ed Vehicles will never happen. However unprofitable it would have been, each vehicle created without it makes it harder to write with consistency.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
Psychotime

I'm pretty sure with the bad rep the book supposedly has that any update would avoid the "problems" it that gave it a bad rep in the first place. They are a business, after all.

I don't know anything about it, so I can't say anything else.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #15
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
Sure, there's some niggling bits like the mass and size of the robot but those are handwavium at some point in the process anyway.
I disagree with everything you just said.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
gilbone

I'm in the "Loved Vehicles" camp as well. Complex? Yes. Because GURPS is more of a thinker's system, it was a perfect fit IMO. As far as the calculations went, when I started using GURPS Vehicle Designer I was in heaven. I could make anything. ANYTHING, including person-scale hand weapons. I'd pay $50 for a 4th edition version of it.

For anyone "leaving" a system because the company published a supplement that that particular person found undesirable, I say "smell you later, homie." Someone like that is on the verge of leaving anyway or looking for a reason to leave.

Spaceships is ok. It's easy enough to get something plausible into orbit quickly, which is what a lot of people want. It's like using a template to create a character with its user-friendly modular system. Compare the armor in Basic to the piece by piece system of Low-Tech. With Basic you can buy a suit and get to playing. with Low-Tech, you customize your suit and leave no question unanswered. you have the options available to get protection where you need it most and save on weight where you need it least.

A new Vehicles would need the modular design of Spaceships and the granular design of Vehicles 3rd, and those two would need to mesh well.

I miss posts by gearheads like Onno meyer that offered a ready-made vehicle or two per week on the GURPSNet list. I think I used more of his designs, either as inspiration or whole cloth, than not.

On a side note, has anyone heard whether low Tech did in fact cure cancer? I'm still waiting on that kitten...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
It doesn't hurt baby jesus if I write poetry in haiku form
gilbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #17
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Vehicles wasn't my cuppa, mostly, and the Excel spreadsheet my spouse was making to automate the calculations eventually got so complex that it broke. O_O

However, GURPS Vehicles had at least 4 print runs -- one first edition, and three printings of second edition (according to http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/ 's listing, anyway). That's a pretty popular book! I do hope that subsequent 4e versions won't creep too much into everything else mechanical, but so long as the "build with advantages and handwavium" is still around, I can cheerfully ignore 4e GURPS Vehicles at least as much as I did 3rd edition's -- especially if it brings in a nice profit and gets reprinted several times!

(Other popular 3rd edition books: Ultra-Tech, with 5 print runs; Supers, with 6; Space, also with 6; Psionics, with 5; Martial Arts, with 6; Magic, with 7 and I'm not counting the first edition of Fantasy which essentially bundled Yrth and Magic; High-Tech, with 5; Fantasy, with 4; Bestiary, with 4; Cyberpunk, with 4; and Compendium I, with 4.)
Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
I'm pretty sure with the bad rep the book supposedly has that any update would avoid the "problems" it that gave it a bad rep in the first place. They are a business, after all.
Per Kromm, GURPS Vehicles was one of the best selling 3e supplements. There are haters, sure, but it had loads of fans, enough to make writing a new version a no-brainer.

If you don't like it, ignore it. It was never needed to play. The 4e plans, at least when folks were still plotting all this, was to have GURPS Vehicle Design System broken away from GURPS Vehicles, which would be a catalog of vehicles for easy play, akin to the tech books. Regardless of what the current plans are, this geekery would be in a PDF, so the whiners who don't want to see it won't and if they want to complain, they're looking to complain. They were before, but they'll be looking harder this time.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #19
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I disagree with everything you just said.
If you want to spend 7 hours designing a robot character with an almost random point cost that could be made as a character balanced to the campaign in 30 minutes more power to you. The rest of us just want to get a game going.

Quote:

Last edited by panton41; 12-28-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #20
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbone View Post
On a side note, has anyone heard whether low Tech did in fact cure cancer? I'm still waiting on that kitten...
I got the kitten and my mom's friend beat cancer post-Low Tech...

Quote:

Tags
gurps vds, vehicle design system