Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Are Techniques Worthwhile?

So, I am coming around to the idea that techniques really are not worthwhile because I think that it is almost always better in the long run to just increase the underlying skills. Let us say that I wanted to create a martial artist. I could spend 78 points to give her Style Familiarity (Tae Kwon Do) [1], Technique Mastery (Kicking) [1], Technique Mastery (Back Kick) [1], Technique Mastery (Jump Kick) [1], Technique Mastery (Spinning Kick) [1], Jumping (E) DX+2 [4], Karate (H) DX+6 [28], Karate Sport (H) DX+4 [4], Savoir-Faire (Dojo) (E) IQ+2 [4], Back Kick (H) Karate+4 [9], Jump Kick (H) Karate+4 [9], Kicking (H) Karate+4 [7], and Spinning Kick (H) Karate+4 [8]. Or I could spend 69 points to give her Style Familiarity (Tae Kwon Do) [1], Jumping (E) DX+2 [4], Karate (H) DX+14 [56], Karate Sport (H) DX+12 [4], and Savoir-Faire (Dojo) (E) IQ+2 [4]. I could spend less points to make her a much better martial arts, even when it comes to kicking, by not taking any techniques. So, am I overthinking it or are techniques not worth it?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
weby

Default Re: Are Techniques Worthwhile?

In general techniques are only worth it if you use them really often and even then usually not more than one technique/skill.

So if you do a lot of spin kicks, then having a spin kick technique might well be worth it, but for only occasional use, not likely.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
mlangsdorf

A single technique that you use a lot is useful: Broadsword-18 [20] and Feint +4 [4] is generally better than Broadsword-19 [24] if you expect to Feint a lot.

Technique Mastery rapidly becomes too expensive to be worthwhile.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
Colarmel

Techniques are good to put on your sheet at zero for stuff you'll do periodically, like once every other session. They may be worth training if you do them once a combat, they're worth perfecting if you do them constantly. An Archer who uses dual weapon attack on every shot should train the technique. A Vampire Hunter should spend points on putting stakes in hearts. But usually you'll do better to improve base skill and work from defaults
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
Maz

Some techniques are also significantly better than others.

Namely Feint and Targeted attacks usually increase your deadliness more than the same points put into skill, without being too situational.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Don't forget that techniques stack too, if you have both Counterattack and Targeted Attack (Neck) at maximum, you can counterattack necks at the reduced penalty.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
edk926

I think the consensus is that they generally aren't worth it unless you are in games where maximum skill levels are capped. If you can do Karate (DX+14), they are pointless. If you allowed to only do Karate (DX+6), then techniques are good.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
Railstar

Worthwhile for what?

Not worthwhile for trying to take Technique Mastery in 4 different techniques for the same skill. Only aim for 1 or 2 techniques for each skill. At 3 techniques or more for the same skill, you start to suffer diminishing returns.

It is also not particularly worthwhile for games where you have 60 points invested into a single skill - those are what I'd consider ultra-cinematic campaigns.

For more medium-powered games where skill 14-15 is considered elite, then the difference between +1 skill and +3 or +4 to a technique becomes very significant. It opens up options.

Feint +4 = much more likely to reduce enemy defences to land that hit.
Arm Lock +4 = chance to use Deceptive Attacks and immediately lock your foe down in a Quick Contest you have a very high skill level in.
Close Quarter Shooting/Battle (can't remember which) +4 = you can shoot while moving to cover without significant penalty.

Assassin:

DX 13 (not DF/Action/Supers, so 13 is high in the world), then Knife & Thrown Weapon: Knife at (E) DX+2=15 [4]. Rather than aiming for skill 16, she raised Targeted Attack: Face from 10 to 13 (14 with Trademark Move) allowing her to target a less-often armoured location.

This was marvellous with sucker-punches using the Hidden Weapons rule. Because she could reliably hit a high-value target at the start of combat, while imposing defensive penalties. She got 2 tries normally (thrown knife as the enemy gets within 2 yards, then step in and stab while Fast-Drawing another knife), opponents defending at -3 or -4 between Hidden Weapon and a few other factors, and would probably get a Knockdown/Stun from one of those.

Once they're down, she can still defend just fine against other foes while making Telegraphic Targeted Attacks to the Face and hitting at 17+ to finish off the guy who's down.

So a single technique can get a lot of mileage if used intelligently.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
phayman53

I'm particularly partial to Counterattack. At 6 points it gives you a free deceptive attack of 1 or 2 (8 or 16 points) depending on your opponent's defenses. Even at master skill levels of 24 that would allow you to target difficult to hit locations while still retaining a penalty to defense and the increased chance of a critical hit from high effective skill.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #10
Alden Loveshade

One of my long-standing and favorite PCs is a grand master alchemist (lives in Tredroy in YRTH i.e. Banestorm--alchemist PCs can work really well in city-based campaigns, not so well in traveling games).

Alchemical Techniques are virtually essential to the character.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote