Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
jenny13

Default Transferral potion

Hello everyone! I have a question I can't find an aswer to in the rules and onlind. We played the game a few days ago and got into a big disscussion over the transferral potion card. If player A fights a monster and successfully beats it and the magnifier, can Player B still play the transferral potion after all cards have been played, steal the monster and fight it themselves? And what happens to the cards from player A in this case? It doesn't seem right to me because the transferral potion is not like a magnifier.
jenny13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Transferral potion

Once the Monster is beaten, it's too late to play Transferral Potion. You have to play it before the combat is over. When you play Transferral Potion, the entire combat as it is (which includes Monster Enhancers and one-shot Items), minus any helper that may have joined the combat, is moved over to the new player.

Andrew actually addressed that in the following thread:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=133328
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
jenny13

Ok, but when exactly is the Monster beaten? One could argue that Player A has not won the fight yet since Player B can play the transferral potion and keep the fight going.

Last edited by jenny13; 05-28-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

In your question, you stated the player had beaten the Monster, which says to me that the combat was over because everyone agreed that they weren't going to stop the player from winning the combat. Once that happens, you can't retroactively change your mind to play some card to affect that combat (unless, of course, the card specifically says that it can do that). If a player is beating a Monster (or Monsters), in combat, he still must give all the other players a reasonable amount of time to try to stop him, which would include playing Transferral Potion.
MiB #1029
Old 05-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
jenny13

To clarify, if the current monster requires 16 points to beat and I have 17 and no one has a enhancer or monster buff cards, can someone else still play the transferral card and steal the combat? And if so, what happens to all the cards?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

So, if the Monster has a combat strength of 16, and you have a combat strength of 17, you still have to say to everyone something along the lines of "Hey, I'm beating this, want to do anything?" You can't declare victory until everyone's either made it clear they're not going to stop you, or you've legitimately given everyone enough time and they haven't done anything for you to claim victory. Before you've declared victory, that is when someone could play Transferral Potion. As for what happens to all the cards: I've already said that everything but a helping player gets transferred to fight the selected player. Andrew says the same in the thread to which I provided a link.
MiB #1029
Old 05-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
evikour

From what I recall from previous posts, all cards that help the Munchkin side do not get transfered, isn't that right?
Are these cards discarded or do they return to owners' hands?
evikour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

Rather than guess, please provide a link to these previous posts. I provided a link earlier in which Andrew says that entire combat in its current state (except any helping player) gets shifted to the new combatant. In several bouts of searching, I've yet to find a post where either Andrew or myself says something else to that effect. Maybe I've not gone back far enough, but that's what I've found so far.
MiB #1029
Old 05-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
evikour

In these two posts : Question on usage of Transferral Potion and Transferral Potion Clipper claimed that the Munchkin side doesn't get transfered.
I know that the answer doesn't come directly from an administrator, but the fact that Clipper is usually right about things and that noone objected to this specific answer made me think that it was the right one. If not, please give me your official opinion.
Thank you!
evikour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

If you can find a post where MunchkinMan or I have said something different, that would be helpful. Otherwise, don't assume that failure to contradict a post means it's correct; sometimes we just don't get around to replying to (or even READING) all the posts we would like to.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote