Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
TheJohan

Default New to The good the bad and the munchkin

Hi, I'm new to this game, expecially to this expansion I just bought (altho it's my first) "The Good The Bad and the Munchkin" I had just one game so far but already have a couple of questions:
1)The game was won by a Sceriff who forced the vice-sceriff to help him (Sceriff card power), their combined score was too high for anyone to stop them, was that possible to do? Forcing another player to help you and getting the win from that?
2)We play the Italian version, so maybe this has something to do with it, but we encountered a level 2 monster called "Gattacicova" (Italian pun) but the description continues with this "you get treasures and level only if your fighting strength is lower then the Cattywampus, if it's higher you have to run"
We have several questions on this card, first is: what is a "Cattywampus" which we imagined could be the English translation that someone missed, however it seems to say that you can't beat her like normal monsters, you have to be lower then her, but it's a level 2 card o.O I'm quite confused by this.
Thanks in advance for the help ;)
-Johan
TheJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
Fufu

Default Re: New to The good the bad and the munchkin

No player can force another player to help them win the game. This is a fairly recent change in the Munchkin rules.

FAQ
Quote:
July 2018 update: We have made two global rule updates to all Munchkin games, and these updates will affect some answers in this FAQ.

1. Players may not be forced to help someone else in a combat that is for the win. If a player is forced to help someone in a combat and it later becomes a combat for the win, the helper is kicked out of the fight without penalty. This rule does not apply to voluntary helpers, who should have thought harder about what they were getting into. It also does not apply in the situation where the helper could win the game (Elves, mostly, but other cards can set up this situation); be careful when you choose a helper!

2. If all monsters are removed from a combat, the combat ends immediately.
As for your second question, I hope someone familiar with the Italian version of the The Good, The Bad, and the Munchkin set can answer your question about "Gattacicova." However, here is a link that might help with "Gattacicova" / "Cattywampus?"
Cattywampus

Last edited by Fufu; 02-27-2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added link to Cattywampus
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

"Cattywampus" is an English term meaning that thinks are askew, out of sorts, not quite right. So the rules for beating that monster are the reverse of the usual.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
ravenfish

I can't help with the rules, but regarding the name:

It is a pun in English that doesn't really translate. There is an informal American word "catawampus" meaning "askew", "misaligned". The first syllable of the word makes it sound like it's some sort of cat-themed monster (all the more so since "wumpus" was the name of a monster in an old computer game), and the card interprets it in that manner.

EDIT: And I was beaten to the explanation.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
emigio

ciao connazionale, si cattywampus è il nome originale di gattacicova
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cattywampus