Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2023, 12:40 PM   #21
darebear

Default Re: Completed Ytarria Hex map with terrain added

If you convert the image file to a PDF you can print out any area zoomed in as much as you want without any loss of resolution. This is one reason why I’ve decided to add more detail to the map. Since you can print out the areas of interest anytime you want versus the whole map itself
darebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:10 PM   #22
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by darebear View Post
Sinle was kind enough to send me a blank version of the main map. My intention is to do a generic version, using that as my canvass. I am confident that I can produce something that avoids the blocky hex version that I was doing, which could increase the aesthetic appeal.

For the moment, I am still playing around, trying new Inkscape features (there are a zillion) while producing a map that is more interesting to myself personally than what is in the sourcebook.
See if this SVG file I made a while back helps. It just has Coasts, and rivers. Also it is based on the GURPS Fantasy 1e map although I added some river details from GURPS Banestorm. I also have a 12.5 mile per hex field drawn.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Bq...ew?usp=sharing

Here is a preview image for folks
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12EI...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by robertsconley; 01-29-2023 at 01:14 PM.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:02 PM   #23
KarlKost

Hey, for anyone wanting to create fantasy maps for plays, I found this online one that is absolute fantastic. It has everything anyone could ever want an then some. You'll have details that you didnt even ask for! Im in absolute awe about it, check it out, I hope it can help

https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:50 PM   #24
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Hey, for anyone wanting to create fantasy maps for plays, I found this online one that is absolute fantastic. It has everything anyone could ever want an then some. You'll have details that you didnt even ask for! Im in absolute awe about it, check it out, I hope it can help

https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/
I used this to play around with the climate zones of my Majestic Fantasy Realms. You can upload a height map of your setting and play around with various parameters.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:30 PM   #25
darebear

Thanks Robert. I will look at those files.

Played around with the major rivers and Cardiel today. Cardiel is one of my favorite locations: a crossroads with lots of potential for both land and sea adventures. The landscape IMO is uninspiring though. The country is huge but barely populated, with most of it being featureless plains. Still need to add trails and some other minor sites of interest. Every land needs abandoned castles, wizards towers and other mysterious locations which call out for a visit. The named geographic locations actually have write ups about them, I will have to put them up with the map sometime.

Now that I know what I am doing It is likely I will start on my "canon" map later this week.

I am replacing the individual hex coloring on my first map where possible. Sadly a lot of the terrain is now part of the underlying image, so I cannot replace all of it. Cardiel, al-Wazif and al-Haz are converted to the format that I will be using in the future though.

Last edited by darebear; 01-31-2023 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:58 PM   #26
Pursuivant

Quote:
The landscape IMO is uninspiring though. The country is huge but barely populated, with most of it being featureless plains.
Plains always look boring at a continental scale. Once you get down to a human scale they're anything but flat and featureless. Lots of bluffs, minor water features and small woods which are just perfect for ambushes and chases. Due to the relative flatness of the landscape, rivers get wide and slow, which means that they get very sinuous, with lots of oxbow lakes, marshes, and islands.

If you're making your prairie terrain look like a salt flat you're doing it wrong. Make it look more like a rumpled blanket with lots of low ridges and valleys. Take a zoomed-in look at maps of Eastern Ukraine or Kansas to see what I mean.

Assuming that humans haven't had sufficient time to mess the place up, plains will also be incredibly biodiverse, with huge herds of herbivores and the occasional carnivores to pick off the weak and unwary. Once upon a time, the plains of North America and Central Asia were just as rich in animal life as the Serengeti.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:48 PM   #27
darebear

You are certainly correct regarding scale. My preferred scale is 6 miles per hex. My family is from the Donbass (Ukraine) so I know what you are saying actually. It is not a flat, featureless expanse.

In any case I have completed a canon version of the map and posted it (along with a blank Ytarria hex map for those wishing to adventure in an earlier time period). The only differences between mine and the book are a few minor rivers and some very small lakes here and there. I could remove spare forest areas from the map in the Nomad Lands, Northern Megalos and Cathiness if folks consider that a redundant feature. I posted a second version without these northern light forests. I kept the denser forests in northern Megalos since the book infers such regions exist. Opinions?

I do think Cardiel needs some additional wilderness areas (minor hills and mountains, like the Alleghanies) allowing for more traditional fantasy adventuring to play out. The country is bigger than France, so I think there is room somewhere. That is just my opinion though.

https://darebearsminiemporium.blogsp...f-ytarria.html

I will be starting on an improved version, which will eliminate the hex colored zones and unify the topography under a single system.

Last edited by darebear; 02-01-2023 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:51 AM   #28
Pursuivant

Quote:
You are certainly correct regarding scale. My preferred scale is 6 miles per hex. My family is from the Donbass (Ukraine) so I know what you are saying actually. It is not a flat, featureless expanse.
Sorry if I sounded a bit defensive, it's a bit of ex-Midwestern chauvinism on my part.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:38 PM   #29
darebear

No problem brother. Your comments were helpful made me think a little bit about the nature of large scale maps.

An improved version of the map is at the bottom of the original blog post. I re-did it from scratch. The original image I used for the first map map had a few city location errors that proved impossible for me to fix/edit, plus I buggered more than a few things up myself.

This version, for the moment anyway, has very light hexagons. I am hoping the author, sinleqiunnini, will post an updated blank hex map of Ytarria with darker hexes (dark grey or black, or both. :-) I can then import that image and finalize the map permanently. If the image is converted to a 11x17 PDF then each 1mm equals 12 miles.

2/6/23 - If anyone knows how to get a CC3 hex grid to fit at 24 miles per hex I would love to know how. The main Inkscape document size is 6696.288 by 5056.032 pixels. At the original document size (1771.726mm by 1337.742mm) the scale is 24 miles per 10mm.

https://darebearsminiemporium.blogsp...f-ytarria.html

2/6 - I posted another version of the map with lighter colors. It makes the light hexes easier to see. They really need to be in black.

Last edited by darebear; 02-06-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:35 AM   #30
apoc527

Quote:

I do think Cardiel needs some additional wilderness areas (minor hills and mountains, like the Alleghanies) allowing for more traditional fantasy adventuring to play out. The country is bigger than France, so I think there is room somewhere. That is just my opinion though.
I am all in favor of a slightly less-canon Cardiel! I will use it in my current campaign (Session 2 is on 2/18).

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, mapping